Saturday, March 12, 2011

Lemon Posset

Winnie from Healthy Green Kitchen is hosting this edition of Weekend Herb Blogging and this week it's all about lemons.

Lemons© by Haalo

Lemons are one of those ingredients that I really can't be without and they can find their place in both sweet and savoury dishes - just a squeeze can immediately enhance a dish.

I am quite partial to lemon based desserts as it tempers the sweetness - I've used them to make puddings, cookies, curd and cordial but this time I'm going for an old English classic, Lemon Posset.

While it may have started in the 16th century as a warm drink of curdled milk it has evolved to become something like a set custard. One of its most appealing features has to be its simplicity - there are only three ingredients, cream, sugar and lemon juice - the lemon juice providing flavour and the chemical reaction needed to set the cream.

Having recently seen Richard Corrigan make this on Cookery School, it provided me with the perfect excuse to make it for myself.

Lemon Posset© by Haalo


Lemon Posset
[Serves 2]

200mls cream (I used Schultz Organic Cream)
50 grams raw caster sugar
1 lemon, zested and juiced


Pour the cream and sugar into a small saucepan and place over a low heat - stir constantly until the sugar has dissolved into the cream. Add in the lemon zest and allow the mixture to very gently come to simmering point but do not allow it to boil.

Stir in the lemon juice and keep it on the heat until you see the mixture start to thicken slightly - remove from the head and pour into a jug. Place this into an icebath (or the fridge) to cool slightly (this will help it set more quickly but it's not a necessary step). Pour the mixture into 2 serving glasses and place in the fridge to set.

Depending on the temperature of the mix it will take from 30 minutes to a couple of hours to set correctly.

lemon posset© by Haalo


For something which has cream as its main ingredient, it has a remarkably light and delicate texture, it is so smooth it virtually dissolves on your tongue leaving it awash with lemon freshness.

6 comments

  1. Looks quite lovely and rich in its simplicity.

    I'm making a posset, too, for WHB, although it might wind up in next week's edition. It's not with lemon, so my contribution will offer some variety.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The more possets the better Susan! They are just brilliant, can't wait to see yours!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is very interesting: I had not heard the word "posset" before. If we lived closer, I would share with you some Meyer lemons: a dear friend had a bump crop, so I have received a good amount. I like the photo of the lemons: they are not easy subjects.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love your lemon posset Haalo!
    My WHB round-up is now posted :)

    http://www.healthygreenkitchen.com/weekend-herb-blogging-274.html

    ReplyDelete
  5. Like something out of Dickens, so lovely and simple. But, with all the lemons we grow, I can't believe I've never eaten one before.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Posset is heaven on (or in) a plate. I had it in a restaurant in London years ago, but didn't know that's what it was called. They had it topped with a cherry compote. On my return home I searched and searched the net for lemony creamy desserts until I found a posset recipe somewhere, made it, and was satisfied that's what I'd had. Have made it several times since; a pity it's so fattening though.

    ReplyDelete

© Cook (almost) Anything at Least Once | All rights reserved.
BLOG TEMPLATE HANDCRAFTED BY pipdig