Thursday, February 01, 2007

Ginger and Lemon Barley Water

Rosie from What's the recipe today Jim? is the host of this months Jihva from Ingredients and has chosen Ginger as the theme.

ginger©


Ginger has quite a refreshing flavour so I thought it might be the perfect addition to a traditional lemon barley water. The ginger adds new notes to an old favourite making it even more enjoyable on those warm summer days.

ginger and lemon barley water©


Ginger and Lemon Barley Water

2 litres water
1 cup caster sugar
150 grams pearl barley, washed and drained
2 lemons
100 grams fresh ginger, peeled and sliced

Remove the peel from the lemons, being careful not to leave any pith on the peel. Once this is done, juice the lemons.

Place the water and sugar into a saucepan and on a gentle heat, keep stirring until the sugar has dissolved. Add the lemon peel, ginger slices and pearl barley and allow to simmer for 30 minutes before removing from the heat.

Strain through muslin to remove the barley, lemon and ginger pieces and allow to cool.

When cold add the lemon juice - taste, and if necessary add more sugar if desired. Store in the fridge and serve over ice.

14 comments

  1. Hi Haalo,

    With each recipe or post you put up, I am always blown away. I just wondered where you get all this inspiration from? Is it cook books? Are you in the industry? And what type of camera do you use?

    thanks, Zam

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really like a lot your idea... barley + ginger = great result. It gives me lot of ideas for explosive cocktail or some granita & sorbet

    Thanks...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Elegant, simple, beautiful. A year or so ago there was a fad in the supermarkets here for selling "real" lemon juice rather than the sugary rubbish normally labelled lemon. It seems to have faded out, but I'll look next time I'm in Sainsburys. This recipe looks great.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks Zam - that's lovely of you to say. Inspiration comes from everywhere - from restaurants, to cookbooks, things I've bought, to just things I'd like to do and things I've done. The trouble isn't in finding inspiration it's in deciding what to do next! I'm not in the food industry though I do enjoy going out to dinner;) I use lots of cameras but for this site due to time issues I use a Nikon D50 mainly with it's standard 18-55mm lens.

    Thanks Laurent - look forward to seeing your creations.

    Thanks Trig - lemon barley water is so simple to make, why do we buy it in bottles full of who knows what?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey Haalo, I can't help but say that your blog has became one of my favourites and *must-check-everytime-i-online/blogsurf* list...

    ReplyDelete
  6. Haalo, what a refreshing drink this is. And lovely photos :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Haalo,

    Lemon Barley Water is a new drink to me. Lemon juice is one of my favorites, I love its refreshing flavor and smell.

    Ginger is also very refreshing, you chose a great recipe for summer!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thank you so much Swee for your kind words and support. I hope you continue to visit.

    Thanks Angie - it's a welcome drink as the weather warms.

    Thanks Patricia - Lemon Barley water is a great English classic cordial - the most well-known commercial brand is Robinson's Lemon Barley Water .

    ReplyDelete
  9. So this is how they make lemon barley water! Well, I grew up loving this refreshing drink, but only tasted the kind sold as a bottled syrup. Now I can't wait for summer to try this recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi Napur - I hope you enjoy making it!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Haalo I made your drink today and simply loved it.So refreshing too.Thanks heaps for the recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I make ginger juice/tea all the time but haven't had barley water. I have to give this a try.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hi Maggie - hope you enjoy it, it is very refreshing.

    ReplyDelete

© Cook (almost) Anything at Least Once | All rights reserved.
BLOG TEMPLATE HANDCRAFTED BY pipdig