Saturday, May 14, 2011

Carrot and Cumin Fritters

Simona from Briciole is hosting both the Italian and English versions of Weekend Herb Blogging but there's an extra special celebration as Simona's blog turns 4! Congratulations on the milestone and I hope there's many more years of tasty delights in store for us.

This week for WHB I'll be turning my attention to carrots.

CarrotsĀ© by Haalo


Carrots are one of those ingredients that I always have in the kitchen - whether they are enjoyed in their own right or as a member of the "soffrito" I really can't imagine being without them.

For WHB, I'll be celebrating the carrot and using it as the major player in my dish. As we're glued to the TV for Eurovision (Yay Italy is back!) finger-food is essential so I've made these rather moorish cumin spiced carrot fritters.

Carrot and Cumin FrittersĀ© by Haalo


Carrot and Cumin Fritters

200 grams finely shredded carrot, approx
1 red onion, very finely sliced
80 grams plain flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
2 teaspoons cumin powder
2 eggs
⅓ cup buttermilk, approx
sea salt and white pepper


Don't be too concerned about shredding exactly 200 grams of carrot, just shred enough whole carrots to take you close to that weight - you then just adjust the quantity of buttermilk to achieve the right consistency. I've also shredded the carrot using a microplane to give a finer result.

Sift the plain flour, baking powder and cumin powder into a bowl - whisk in the eggs to form a smooth paste. Stir through the shredded carrots, onion and enough buttermilk to form a thick batter. Season with a little salt and white pepper.

Heat a little oil and a knob of butter in a skillet over a medium heat - when the butter has melted, drop in spoonfuls of the batter, patting them down to roughly form a circle. As soon as one side is golden, flip and cook the other side. Remove the cooked fritters to paper towels to remove any excess oil.

Best served as soon as they are cooked but are still quite good when warm.

6 comments

  1. Wow, what a beautiful post, I always make potato fritters, or zucchini fritters, but I've never seen carrot fritters :) Gotta try them as well! Thank you for sharing the recipe

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love carrot fritters, I can just imagine how good yours tasted! Never thought of using buttermilk though, might have to try that soon!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Carrots are always in my vegetable drawer as well. I would not do well without them. I also like to give them from time to time a prominent role, rather than the support one they usually play. I have never made fritters with them. I like the idea of using buttermilk in the batter. And I am glad Italy almost won! Thanks for the good wishes :) It is always a pleasure to host WHB.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love these. Made something similar a while ago, though I think I'll have to do a re-run with buttermilk - sounds delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Fantastic. And what gorgeous, as usual, photos.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks Alina - hope you get to make them soon, they are delicious!

    Thanks Elly!

    Thanks Simona - Italy was sooo close, good to see them back in the competiton

    Thanks Marisa!

    Thanks Susan!

    ReplyDelete

© Cook (almost) Anything at Least Once | All rights reserved.
BLOG TEMPLATE HANDCRAFTED BY pipdig