Wednesday, May 04, 2011

Breakfast Orange Cake

When I first spotted this recipe by Philippe Mouchel for a "Breakfast Orange Cake" I knew that I was going to make it. Surprisingly, it wasn't because the idea of having a cake for breakfast seems awfully naughty and just the type of thing I'd do. No, the reason was that it would give me the opportunity to immediately use this jar of dried orange peel I'd just bought.

sweet orange peelĀ© by Haalo


I can only speak for my experience but I've lost track of the number of times I'm ready to make something sweet only to find that it needs orange zest and typically, I don't have any oranges. Worse yet, are recipes that require barely any zest and leaves your orange in rather forlorn state - more often than not, you'll forget about it and the orange goes all manky.  My attraction to this product is that it will hopefully reduce the waste while not compromising on the taste.

You do need to soak the peel - they suggest alcohol and for this recipe I've used vodka - I think you could get away with using water. I've been a bit generous with the soaking vodka because the resulting liquid is a great way to get orange flavoured vodka.

I have made some minor adjustments to the recipe, decreasing the amounts of butter and sugar.

breakfast orange cakeĀ© by Haalo


Breakfast Orange Cake

200 grams butter, melted & cooled slightly
170 grams pure icing sugar
2 teaspoons dried orange peel, soaked & drained, reserve liquid (or zest of 1 orange)
100 grams almond meal
220 grams plain flour sifted with 1 tsp baking powder
4 eggs, lightly whisked
2 tablespoons milk


Place the icing sugar and orange zest into a bowl and pour over the cooled melted butter - stir until the sugar has dissolved.

Add in the almond meal, followed by half the flour, the eggs and milk. Whisk together until smooth and then add in the rest of the flour - stir this through until combined.

Pour the batter into a buttered and lined loaf tin and bake in a preheated 170°C oven until golden and cooked through - my cake took around 70 minutes.

Let it cool slightly before turning out onto a wire rack to cool.

Once cold, I've given it a light glaze made from a mix of icing sugar and the reserved soaking vodka.

Tastewise, it has a very similar texture to a pound or madeira cake and the dried orange peel does its job and gives it a pleasant orange flavour.

3 comments

  1. ooo yes. i have the same 'i have to make this!' impulse!

    been following your blog for a while now and loving it. thanx for all your cooking adventures - you inspire me to challenge my cooking skills and step out of my kitchen comfort zone!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh thank you so much for those lovely words, you are too kind :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Will have to make this, though I don't know about waiting an hour for breakfast . . I guess I could snack before hand!

    ReplyDelete

© Cook (almost) Anything at Least Once | All rights reserved.
BLOG TEMPLATE HANDCRAFTED BY pipdig