Tuesday, February 16, 2010

Ricotta Pancakes

Shrove Tuesday, Pancake Day or Fat Tuesday - it means the same things, pancakes are on the menu.

This time I'm revisiting my recipe for ricotta pancakes. While I enjoyed that recipe in recent times I've been enjoying a different take on this dish from local restaurant Home Dining Room. Rather than having the ricotta blended in with the batter, it's served as large chunks through the batter, resulting in a much more interesting mouth feel and texture.

With that as my inspiration, I've devised a new and improved Ricotta Pancake to enjoy today.

ricotta pancakes© by Haalo



Ricotta Pancakes

2 eggs
150 grams self-raising flour
1 cup/250mls milk
1 tablespoon caster sugar
fresh ricotta, roughly broken into pieces


It's important that you use good ricotta for this - those containers at the supermarkets aren't good enough as it doesn't hold its shape.

Lightly whisk the eggs, milk and sugar together and then add in the flour, whisking quickly to remove any lumps.

Let the mix rest for about 15 minutes.

When ready to cook, gently fold rough chunks of ricotta through the batter. Use as much or as little ricotta as you like.

Use a measuring cup (from ⅓ to ½ cup depending on how large you like your pancakes) to scoop out the batter - cook in a buttered skillet.

When you see air bubbles forming and the surface drying, flip over to cook until golden.

Serve at once with your choice of topping - I've served them here with stewed strawberries.

ricotta pancakes© by Haalo


This photo shows you exactly what I love about these pancakes - those pockets of beautifully light ricotta hidden in the batter.

A final word:

If you receive this through subscription or email then you won't have noticed the icon in the sidebar promoting the Wine Auction for Haiti.

Please take some time to have a look and even bid - it's a fantastic and worthwhile opportunity to do something for the people of Haiti. If you're looking for something to do for lent, then maybe this is it.

5 comments

  1. I love adding ricotta to my pancakes...it is just so fluffy and creamy....big yummee factor!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, wow. Not something I would have thought up on my own. I haven't ever really liked ricotta, but I suspect that's because I've ever only had it in lasagna, and people tend to add too much.

    Will have to try this!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Couldn't agree more Nina!

    Hope you try it Tanita!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've never heard of adding ricotta to pancakes before. Such a simple and delicious idea! Can't wait to make them for the family. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks GGG - i hope you do try them!

    ReplyDelete

© Cook (almost) Anything at Least Once | All rights reserved.
BLOG TEMPLATE HANDCRAFTED BY pipdig