Sunday, October 18, 2009

Kiwi Fruit Jam

Cinzia from Cindystar is hosting this edition of Weekend Herb Blogging and this week I've got myself some Actinidia deliciosa

kiwi fruit© by Haalo


It's gone through several name changes, from Chinese Gooseberry and Melonette before finally finding itself claimed by New Zealanders and given the name Kiwi Fruit. I'd hate to be the one to break this news to our neighbours but a more appropriate name might be Italian Fruit since Italy heads the table of kiwi fruit producers.

Kiwi fruit have high levels of Vitamin C as well as Vitamins A, B1, B2, B3 and E. It's also rich in Calcium, Iron and Potassium and an excellent source of anti-oxidants and fiber.

The skin is actually edible but I think its most attractive characteristic is on the inside

kiwi fruit© by Haalo


Pretty as a picture but in all honesty, they aren't a fruit that I'm overly fond of, the flavour for me, is a bit one-dimensional and they seemed to be consigned to being the topping of a pavlova or the boring bit in fruit salad.

So the dish I've made is in fact an attempt to get me to like kiwi fruit and the route I've taken is to turn it into jam!

kiwi fruit jam© by Haalo


Kiwi Fruit Jam

400 grams kiwi fruit (prepared weight)
300 grams caster sugar
1 lemon, juiced
½ cup water


Prepare the kiwi fruit:

Peel the fruit and then cut into quarters and then cut these into thirds. You'll need to have around 400 grams of cut fruit for this recipe - around 8 kiwi fruit depending on their size.


kiwi fruit© by Haalo

Put the prepared fruit into a saucepan, sprinkle over the sugar, lemon juice and water and place over a low heat. Stir until the sugar has dissolved and then allow to gently simmer, without boiling.

Due to the pectin levels of the fruit and the addition of lemon juice, you shouldn't have to use any additional pectin or special sugars.

As this simmers, the kiwis will start to break down and release their juice. Stir every now and again, to ensure the mixture doesn't stick to the bottom of the pan - the aim now is to get the mixture to reach 104°C/220°F.

When it nears this setting point, take a potato masher and begin to gentle mash the fruit - this will help release those seeds and also add a bit more body to the jelly. Once at the temperature, remove from the heat and let it sit for a few minutes to settle.

Pour into sterilised jars and seal.


kiwi fruit jam© by Haalo

The end product is a lovely green jelly into which those seeds lay suspended. Fresh tasting with pleasant sweet lemon tang it certainly has satisfied my aim.

As an aside, I must say that I surprisingly really enjoyed the flavour of the just stewed fruit and think they would make an excellent addition to a fruit crumble. Something to try in the future.


14 comments

  1. Very cool....never made my kiwi into jam before but isn't it simply beautiful?!

    ReplyDelete
  2. wonderful pictures!!!!!!!!
    wonderful and simple jam recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  3. so inspirirng and pretty!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree - they are photogenic darling! I do like them fresh but I bet they're even better as jam.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh it looks so good.Saw a kiwi salsa in Das Sreedaran's book with kiwi tomatoes and coriander leaves.Turned out nice.Must try your jamn anyway.Thanks Halo for all the wonderful recipes and pics.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sorry I am late but had a very busy week.
    I love jamming, yours is super and pictures are wonderful!!!
    Thanks for participating and have a nice w.e.!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I tried this and it is very good. And by the way, what kind of camera do you have?

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks Trish - they are quite lovely

    Thanks Lulu!

    Thanks Momgateway!

    Thanks Xiaolu!

    Thanks Poornima - the salsa sounds really interesting

    Thanks Cinzia!

    Thanks Durian - I have a nikon

    ReplyDelete
  9. How long did you cook this for? Mine seemed too watery, and then all of a sudden, it seemed to have overcooked!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Time is irrelevant - you must cook it until it reaches the correct temperature.

    ReplyDelete
  11. AnonymousJune 02, 2010

    After putting the jam into the sterilized jars, do I then have to process them in a water bath? If not, how long will it stay safe and how do I store it?

    ReplyDelete
  12. Anon - I only make small quantities of jam that I know will be eaten quickly and can be stored safely in the fridge. If you're looking for longer storage then the process of sterilisation and water baths remain the same, they aren't dependant on the type of jam you make.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I have eaten kiwi jam and found it surprisingly tasty - just right for scones and cream. Your recipe sounds and looks delicious. I'll make it today with the kiwi fruit I bought yesterday. Many thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  14. AnonymousJuly 11, 2016

    Thanks for this.. I had a recipe but the passage of time etc.
    Re Italians. Yes, very productive. But for the record, only because back in the day, kiwis being naive and generous gave a helping had by providing the cultivars.the rest is history.

    ReplyDelete

© Cook (almost) Anything at Least Once | All rights reserved.
BLOG TEMPLATE HANDCRAFTED BY pipdig