Saturday, July 04, 2009

Turnip Gratin

Laurie from Mediterranean Cooking in Alaska is hosting this edition of Weekend Herb Blogging and this week I've opted for the ever so humble, Turnip

Turnip© by Haalo

My previous adventure with turnips had been in the form of baby turnips and that had left me with a new appreciation for this brassica.

Usually turnips have been reserved for the minor parts in my dishes but this time I was going to change that - turnip would be the star. To accomplish this task I decided to make a turnip gratin!

Turnip Gratin© by Haalo


Turnip Gratin

Turnips, peeled and sliced evenly
Spring Onions/Green Onions, sliced
cream
milk
salt and freshly ground white pepper
grated Parmigiano-Reggiano

I haven't specified quantities as you can make as much or as little as you like - the method remains the same.

Prepare the spring onions:
Once you've sliced the spring onions, heat a little butter in a small pan over a medium heat. When the butter has melted, add in the spring onions and sauté very briefly until the just begin to wilt - this should take somewhere between 30 seconds and a minute. Take them off the heat and set to one side.

Make the gratin:
Take a casserole dish and layer it with turnip slices - sprinkle over with a little of the wilted onions, then repeat with another layer of turnips and onions - on every second layer add a little finely grated Parmigiano. You should finish with the turnips with a few pieces of onion poking through.

Pour cream and milk into a bowl and season lightly - whisk, the mixture should have the consistency of slightly thick milk. You can make this to your own preference, some will use just cream, some will use different combinations.

Carefully drizzle this over the turnips, it should just cover them. Finish the dish with an extra sprinkle of Parmigiano.

Place in a pre-heated 160ºC/320ºF oven until golden and bubbling and the turnips have softened.

Best served immediately.

turnip gratin© by Haalo

I don't know if it's due to the variety of turnips used or the way they are cooked but these most definitely had a subtle taste of horseradish - combined with that creamy texture it had us dipping in for seconds!

6 comments

  1. Interesting about horseradishy taste. I love pickled turnips and roasted turnips, so this would be right up my alley.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love turnips... this recipe looks like a keeper.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm a big fan of turnips. My mom used to cut them up for us to eat raw (I'm guessing they were cheap in those days!) This sounds delicious, never thought of cooking them this way!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks MM!

    Thanks Amandita!

    Thanks Kalyn!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love turnips and I am glad to find this new recipe...

    ReplyDelete
  6. I cooked and blogged it...absolutely delicious...

    ReplyDelete

© Cook (almost) Anything at Least Once | All rights reserved.
BLOG TEMPLATE HANDCRAFTED BY pipdig