Saturday, May 30, 2009

Jerusalem Artichoke Chips

Susan from The Well-Seasoned Cook is hosting this edition of Weekend Herb Blogging and this week it's time to revisit a seasonal tuber, Jerusalem Artichokes

Jerusalem Artichokes© by Haalo

You might also know these as Sunchoke or Topinambur. Originating in North America, they are a member of the Sunflower family.

Jerusalem Artichokes are a diabetic friendly ingredient, they have no starch but contain a carbohydrate called Inulin which can't be broken down by our enzymes - this means that the carbohydrate doesn't get converted to sugars. It's also the reason that has led to them procuring the rather unfortunate name of "fartichokes".

Now, putting that aside, I have ploughed ahead and made a quick and easy nibble. Just make sure there aren't too many naked flames around when eating!


Jerusalem Artichoke Crisps© by Haalo

Jerusalem Artichoke Chips

Jerusalem artichokes
olive oil
sea salt

Clean the Jerusalem artichoke with a scourer to remove any dirt from the skin.

As they will discolour when cut, make sure you have a bowl of acidulated water on hand. You can peel the skin but I prefer to leave it on.

Slice the Jerusalem artichokes thinly, keep them in the water while you complete this process.

Once completed, drain and then dry the slices.

Deep fry until golden - it should take less than a minute to do.

Drain on paper towels and sprinkle with sea salt.

Serve at once.


Jerusalem Artichoke Crisps© by Haalo

14 comments

  1. Fantastic recipe. I bet these taste divine--I've had roasted Jerusalem artichokes, but never chips. They look perfectly crispy and browned!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gorgeous photos of a simple, yet stylish alternative to everyday chips. They require eating by the handful - I can tell. ; )

    Thank you, Haalo.

    ReplyDelete
  3. AnonymousMay 31, 2009

    Hmmm... I'm going to have to look for Jerusalem artichoke.

    Paz

    ReplyDelete
  4. oh wow, I simply must try these. what do they kind of taste like? artichoke mostly?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Those crips look amazingly good! Very tempting!

    ReplyDelete
  6. i love J. Art. (one of my favourite soups) but they make me so bloated i avoid them:( any tips haalo, as i'd love to be able to eat them

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks Ricki!

    Thanks Susan - oh yes, you have to keep one eye on them or they seem to vanish

    Hope you find them Paz!

    Thanks Dawn - they are crisp and have a subtle flavour of jerusalem artichoke

    Thanks Jacqueline!

    Hi Heart - alas I think the bloating is due to that hard to digest carbohydrate, maybe combining it with another vegetable might lessen the symptoms.

    ReplyDelete
  8. 'Serve at once' - you bet! These wouldn't last two seconds in my household...

    ReplyDelete
  9. MMMM...Haalo! I love jerusalem artichokes so I will love these crisps: chips like we call it in Dutch. MMMMM....

    ReplyDelete
  10. Fantastic recipe and amazing photography.. Very impressive one.. First time to your blog and find it really nice. keep it going.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Ah Fork - I think we live in the same house ;)

    Thanks Sophie - chips or crisps they are still delish!

    Thanks Nithya!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I made these early in the year when I had artichokes growing, I flavoured them with rosemary salt. I can't wait to eat them again, Thanks for reminding me.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Jerusalem Artichokes are extremely easy to grow. The seed tubers are sold through many seed catalogues. Plant according to instructions and get out of the way. Once established, you can't kill 'em. I've tried to no avail. They spread, too. My garden supplies an entire neighborhood, which makes me very popular. Many chips to be made this weekend

    ReplyDelete
  14. Grow these at my allotment in Yeadon, Leeds. Massive yield. Most friends have never had them and are never on sale in our supermarkets. I think they are nice sauted in butter with a little seasoning.
    David.
    Yeadon

    ReplyDelete

© Cook (almost) Anything at Least Once | All rights reserved.
BLOG TEMPLATE HANDCRAFTED BY pipdig