Thursday, February 12, 2009

Orzo Paella

Presto Pasta Night reaches the 100th milestone and shortly after this we'll soon be celebrating 2 years of pasta goodness - it's a tribute to Ruth and to all who take part, that this event is still going strong.

This week I'll be using another Greek pasta - Orzo

Orzo© by Haalo

Orzo is a rice shaped pasta - in the past I've used Italian Orzo and Risoni which are very similar. Orzo cooks very quickly and I'll be using this quality in the dish I've made. Inspired by a very tasty Paella I recently enjoyed, I decided to combine cuisines and create an Orzo Paella!


Orzo Paella© by Haalo


Orzo Paella

2 red onions, sliced
2 garlic cloves, sliced
1 red capsicum (bell pepper), sliced thickly
4 skinless chicken thighs, sliced thickly
1 chorizo, diced
green peas
chopped tomatoes (fresh or canned)


Heat a little oil and butter in a large pan and saute the chicken in batches until browned. Set to one side and in the same pan, saute the onions and garlic until softened.

Add the diced chorizo and cook until golden. Add the sliced capsicum and continue to saute for 5 minutes before adding the tomatoes, peas and chicken. Stir through and add enough water or stock to just cover the mixture. Simmer until reduced.

The orzo will only take about 5 minutes to cook so make sure that this chicken mixture is cooked and seasoned to your liking.

Over a very low flame, stir in the orzo and top with enough water to just cover the mixture. Place a lid on the pot and let it cooked undisturbed for about 5 minutes.

After this, stir the mixture and taste - check that the orzo is cooked through and adjust the seasoning if necessary.

Serve at once.


Orzo Paella© by Haalo

Top with shards of manchego or grated Mizithra/Myzithra.

6 comments

  1. Wow! That looks restaurant quality.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can find Risoni in my regular supermarket, but I am sure if I search a bit I will also find orzo. I have never entered this event, but I might just give it a go!!!!I like the fusion here!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Does look spectacular. Thanks for sharing with Presto Pasta Night.

    ReplyDelete
  4. this fusion took my fancy straight away, I've been craving this pasta recently, but I couldn't be bothered with the elaborate traditional giouvetsi, so I'll definatelly make this quicky! In Greece orzo is called kritharaki or manestra, as you might already know (I'm impressed you can find mizithra, but on second thought, you live in Melbourne:)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks Alisa!

    Thanks Nina - look forward to seeing your pasta creations!

    Thanks Sophie!

    Thanks Ruth - always a pleasure!

    Thanks Ben!

    Thanks Heart - there's no shortage of Greek ingredients here!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Mmm, I've always loved orzo - and what a great recipe!

    ReplyDelete

© Cook (almost) Anything at Least Once | All rights reserved.
BLOG TEMPLATE HANDCRAFTED BY pipdig