Wednesday, January 07, 2009

Barley Couscous with Chorizo and Vegetables

Presto Pasta Night founder Ruth from Once upon a Feast kicks off a new year as host and this week I've found something a bit unusual

barley couscous© by Haalo

Unlike regular couscous this is made using barley flour rather than semolina and the resulting product has a much smaller grain

barley couscous© by Haalo

Just like regular couscous, this takes about 5 minutes to cook, so it really is fast food. The dish I've made takes advantage of those new years leftovers, so in the time it takes to assemble and reheat them, you'll find that the couscous will have cooked.



Barley Couscous with Chorizo and Vegetables© by Haalo

Barley Couscous with Chorizo and Vegetables

barley couscous
diced chorizo
caramelised onions
slow-roasted cherry tomatoes
fresh peas

Place the barley couscous into a bowl and cover with boiling water. Cover the bowl and set to one side.

Place a pan over a medium heat and when hot, add in the diced chorizo. Cook until browned and then add the caramelised onions. Toss through for a minute before adding the fresh peas. Finally add in the slow-roasted tomatoes, turn the heat down and gently stir them through.

Remove the cover from the bowl and fluff up the couscous with a fork. Add in the cooked ingredients and toss through until mixed.

Serve at once.

Barley Couscous with Chorizo and Vegetables© by Haalo

6 comments

  1. I have seen couscous but I confess I have never tried it since we usually eat rice with every meal. But this barley couscous sound so healthy, it is a waste not to try this at least once :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I haven't seen barley couscous before and I love Chorizo so this would be a winner

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, yum! Barley! I'd love to find some of this!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a great looking dish. I must see if there's any barley couscous in Halifax. I imagine the flavor is quite unique. Plus, you've used my favorite ingredient...chorizo!~ Thanks for sharing with Presto Pasta Nights.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I hope you do try it Ning!

    Thanks Beth!

    Thanks Tadmack!

    Thanks Ruth - it's a little more nutty in flavour, hope you find some.

    A very Happy New Year to you Heart!

    ReplyDelete

© Cook (almost) Anything at Least Once | All rights reserved.
BLOG TEMPLATE HANDCRAFTED BY pipdig