Wednesday, December 31, 2008

Tasty Bits of 2008

As 2008 draws to a close, it's a good time to reflect on the year. I've trawled through the archives and come up with a baker's dozen of my favourite dishes of the year.

flat bread crackers© by Haalo

Flat bread crackers - I don't know what was better, the dead simple recipe or the look of those finger-shaped shards.


zucchini falafel© by Haalo

Zucchini Falafel - part of my falafel odyssey, I even managed to make an oven baked version of Sweet Potato Falafel.


gozleme© by Haalo

Gözleme - consider it a type of middle-eastern pizza but the secret is the dough - made with just yoghurt, self-raising flour and salt, it was a revelation.


stuffed sardines© by Haalo

Stuffed Sardines - if you think you don't like sardines, then try this recipe, I think it might just convert you.


butterflied garlic prawns© by Haalo

Garlic Butter Tiger Prawns - a little bit decadent but a whole lot of delicious.


torta della nonna© by Haalo

Torta della Nonna or Grandmother's Pie - these next two couldn't be split so I've included them both. I loved this as each bite brought back memories of Italy.


Torta Meringata con Mele© by Haalo

Torta Meringata con Mele or Apple Pie with Meringue - an edible memory. For very special occasions my mother would make this torta and I can't believe it took me this long to make it myself.


queen of puddings© by Haalo

Queen of Puddings - for such a regal sounding dessert, it really couldn't be anymore "peasant" in nature.


chocolate pecan cookies© by Haalo

Chocolate Pecan Cookies - these were dubbed "the best cookies ever"


fig twist© by Haalo

Fig Twist - I didn't do that much yeast baking this year but this one I'm glad to have found the time to make.


strawberry and basil compote© by Haalo

Strawberries and Basil Compote - macerated strawberries find their ideal and usual match in basil. At the base of each dish is a sweet basil pesto made with fresh basil, pinenuts and icing sugar.


milk ice cream© by Haalo

Milk Ice Cream - If I was only allowed to eat one ice-cream, it would be this one.


mint tea© by Haalo

After those twelve, lucky 13 must be a refreshing beverage and Mint Tea made with gunpowder green tea and fresh mint leaves is the perfect tonic.


Here's hoping 2009 will be the tastiest yet!

5 comments

  1. your lovely photos look so tempting - hope you have a good 2009

    ReplyDelete
  2. Have a great new year!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Johanna - happy new year to you!

    Thanks Lien - have a wonderful 2009!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Happy new year, Haalo!

    I've just noticed that I bookmarked your strawberry and basil compote this time last year - the right season has finally returned for me to try it myself. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Happy New Year Cindy - the strawberries are just lovely now

    ReplyDelete

© Cook (almost) Anything at Least Once | All rights reserved.
BLOG TEMPLATE HANDCRAFTED BY pipdig