Monday, July 28, 2008

Not-a-Tiramisu

not-a-tiramisu© by Haalo


In deference to purists, I'll put it right at the start, this isn't a traditional Tiramisù. Its relationship to Tiramisù is that it is a layered dessert made with coffee soaked cake and mascarpone.

not-a-tiramisu© by Haalo


The cake used was a weekend leftover - it was this chocolate and hazelnut cake I've written about in the past. To make a little bit go a lot further, I sliced it thinly and then soaked it in cooled blend of espresso and Frangelico (hazelnut liqueur).

Rather than go for the egg/mascarpone blend of the traditional I took a much simpler route. A 50/50 mix of cream and mascarpone, lightly whipped with vanilla bean paste to give it an attractive speckled appearance.

They both end the same way - left in the fridge to chill and set and then sprinkled with cocoa powder.

not-a-tiramisu© by Haalo

With its blend of chocolate, hazelnuts, coffee, mascarpone and cream, regardless of its pedigree, it is utterly delicious.

An earlier example of Tiramisù vandalism shamelessly made in Florence, can also be found here.

15 comments

  1. Hazelnut, chocolate and coffee. Sounds amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. AnonymousJuly 28, 2008

    This looks fantastic. It's also a great way to use up those leftovers!

    ReplyDelete
  3. AnonymousJuly 28, 2008

    I think I'd actually like this better than the traditional tiramisu! Looks amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I consistently leave your blog salivating!

    I also love the idea of the sweet potato falafels and will try them out.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is better than the traditional tiramisu: it has hazelnuts!

    ReplyDelete
  6. AnonymousJuly 28, 2008

    Oh, I love this! And the Tira-mela. Love it!

    Paz

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks Alexa!

    Thanks Fearless - it certainly stretched out what was left over.

    Thanks Ricki - i still have a soft spot for a real tiramisu

    Thank you Maven - hope you do try out the falafel!

    Thanks JS - ah yes, everything improves with hazelnuts!

    Thank you Paz - hope you are feeling better too!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Never had tiramisu with hazelnuts. Must be great.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Pictures look great. I love tiramisu and Im sure this would go down equally as well

    ReplyDelete
  10. AnonymousJuly 30, 2008

    Oh my, oh my, oh my, does this look decadent and delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi Poonam - all the ingredients are delicious by themselves so you can't go wrong by putting them all together

    Thanks Beth!

    Thanks Lia - it is quite decadent so a little goes a long way.

    ReplyDelete
  12. That non tiramisu certainly looks the part and I bet it tastes unbelievable too :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. I really wish I could dive into my screen with a spoon....

    ReplyDelete
  14. Thanks Y - they went all too quickly

    Thanks Nic - i'll follow you in!

    ReplyDelete
  15. AnonymousJuly 31, 2008

    thanks, haalo. i continue to heal.

    paz

    ReplyDelete

© Cook (almost) Anything at Least Once | All rights reserved.
BLOG TEMPLATE HANDCRAFTED BY pipdig