Sunday, April 06, 2008

Fennel Remoulade

It's been a little while but Weekend Herb Blogging returns home to Kalyn's Kitchen and this week I've got some fennel bulbs

fennel

Botanically, it is known as Florence Fennel and the bulb, stems, fronds and seeds can all be used. Nutritionally, Fennel contains Vitamins A, B6, B12, and C, Folate, Riboflavin, and Thiamine as well as Calcium, Copper, Iron, Magnesium, Manganese, Phosphorus, Potassium, Selenium, Sodium and Zinc.

One of the more perplexing aspects of Fennel is the notion of male and female fennel - if you look at the photo below you will see two distinct styles of Fennel

fennel

On the left is a slender, narrow bulb while on the right, a more squat and rotund version. In my research, depending on which expert you read, one will tell you that slender one is the male while another will tell you that the slender one is female! With such confusion it is probably safe to assume that there is no male or female versions and that in all probability, the rounded version was thought of a "female" due to its more voluptuous appearance.

In order to get around this issue I'll be using both types in my dish of Fennel Rémoulade.

Rémoulade is a mayonnaise based sauce that is combined, in the most basic recipes, with mustard and lemon juice. More elaborate versions can incorporate cornichons, shallots, capers and parsley.


fennel rémoulade

Fennel Rémoulade

fennel bulb
mayonnaise
whole-grain mustard
lemon juice
fennel fronds, finely chopped
sea salt and freshly ground pepper

Remove the thicker outer layer of the fennel and then slice the bulb as thinly as possible. I've varied my slices, cutting across the top to highlight the natural curve of the bulb and also cutting down the bulb to form thin sticks.

In a small bowl, place a little mayonnaise, whole-grain mustard, finely chopped fennel fronds and a squeeze of lemon juice - stir and taste, adjusting to suit your palate.

Place the sliced fennel in a dish and then add the sauce a spoonful at a time - it's important that the fennel is only lightly coated - you don't want to weigh it down with too much sauce.

fennel remoulade

Best served immediately and it is well suited as a side to seafood or grilled meats.

Tagged

13 comments

  1. Your blog is looking more and more fabulous every time I see it! Love reading about the "male" and "female" fennel. Very funny. This is an ingredient I keep meaning to use but forgetting about. Love the sound of this recipe, saving it right now.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just love fennel in salads, but I've never gone the creamy route. Thanks for sharing this recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful picture, and wonderful salad. Great investigation on the male/female issue - and I agree with your conclusion about the difference.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks Kalyn - it's a good dish for spring and summer and makes a change from roasting fennel.

    Thanks Mari!

    Thanks Laurie - it certainly left me a little confused.

    ReplyDelete
  5. yum! i love that you used the fennel fronds too -- i always try to use a little bit for extra color and flavor, whenevery i cook with fennel!

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a beautiful salad. I wish my husband would eat fennel, I'd love to make this.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love what you did with the fennel salad, I too have never done it creamy, but now I want to!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks Katy - the fronds are too good to go to waste!

    Thanks Sara - if he won't eat it, then there's more for you ;) You could also try making the more traditional dish of Celeriac Remoulade - same recipe just use shredded celeriac instead of fennel.

    Thanks Marie - they say a change is like a holiday though I'm not sure they had salad in mind!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Have heard this about fennel before and have spent manys a minute examining them in my local fruit and veg shop but they always look the same. Maybe they're being fennelist?!?!?!?

    This looks gorgeous as I love the flavour of fennel

    ReplyDelete
  10. I have used it in other salads, and want to use it more... this is perfect: so simple. I can't wait to try!

    ReplyDelete
  11. i made this today haalo and i have to say it's delicious. i;ll make it a staple. I'll also try the other one you suggest (is it celeriac rood or celery sticks you mean?) Forgot to say, i used the capers and gherkins you mentioned and also took the liberty of adding a cubed beetroot. apart from the colour contrast i liked the texture contrast betewwn crispy-crunchy fennel and creamy beet. thanks again:)

    ReplyDelete
  12. I'm going to try this out on my partner tonight accompanied with kanga bangas and sweet potato & corn mash. Heart n Soul, love the idea of beetroot and gherkin. I'll add some in.
    Haalo, I love your site! It is my bible!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thanks Rachel - there are definitely two distinct forms to fennel but I usually just pick which one looks the best.

    Thanks Katie - hope you enjoy it!

    Thanks Heart - that is great news,the beetroot would be a great addition, must give that a try too!

    Thank you so much Jenna - sounds like a delish dinner!

    ReplyDelete

© Cook (almost) Anything at Least Once | All rights reserved.
BLOG TEMPLATE HANDCRAFTED BY pipdig