Tuesday, January 08, 2008

Fruitmince Muffins

Christmas is well and truly over but the hot weather meant I didn't bake nearly as much as I would have liked and so have quite a bit of fruitmince left over. Rather than continue making tarts, I've decided to seek a quicker option and whipped up some muffins to give me that Christmas feel without any of the hassle.

muffins

Fruitmince Muffins
[Makes 8 large]

300 grams plain flour
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1 tablespoon baking powder
50 grams raw sugar
250 grams fruit mince
1 egg
1 cup milk
80 grams melted butter, cooled

  • Sift the plain flour, baking powder and ground cinnamon together into a large bowl, then add the raw sugar, stirring it well.

  • Add in the fruitmince and stir again, breaking up any clumps and ensuring it is evenly distributed through the flour.

  • Lightly whisk the egg and milk together, then add it and the melted butter to the flour mix - stir gently until just combined.

  • Scoop out into cases and bake in a preheated 180°C/350°F oven for around 20-25 minutes or until golden and cooked through.

  • Cool on a wire rack.

muffins

Whether eaten warm or cold, they are sure to go quickly.

Tagged

10 comments

  1. hehehe at first glance i thought you said fruit mice muffins and i thought ohhow cruel, but cute ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. These are a really good idea for using up the fruitmince (I call it mincemeat - such a confusing name)! I have been making flapjacks out of our leftovers and also stirring it into my porridge which tastes really good

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks yummy! Nice picture!

    ReplyDelete
  4. That's such a great idea! My sis is still savouring the fruitmince tarts that I brought over from Sydney for her. The ones in Singapore sold out before Christmas and she loves those little tarts. I know I could have made some for her but David Jones had some really good freshly baked ones.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great idea! I love fruitmince/mincemeat but only discovered it once I came to the US. The muffins would be great for breakfast!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've been thinking about fruit mince muffins too, .. if only I had some fruit mince left! Maybe I should make up a new batch... celebrate an extra Christmas. Could do with more ham leftoevers too, come to think of it
    :-D

    ReplyDelete
  7. These sound and look delicious. I'm still not over my need to bake for the holidays, and they're gone. Happy New Year cookies, maybe? :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Haalo,

    Thank you so much for your post about making fruit mince and mince tarts. I had been on the lookout for a fruit mince recipe for a while that seemed to look great and not include mixed peel or anything hideous like that. I made both types of tarts and they were such a hit with my family I cann't tell you, especially me. I have a heap of fruit mince left over. Do you think I could put it into sterilised jars for next year?

    Can I just say in general I love your blog and I regularly make your recipes. Thank you again.

    Lauren

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Aria, The cats might enjoy the fruit mice muffins, not sure I would ;)

    Thanks Sophie - it is really mincemeat but I even confused Paalo with that, he thought I'd made savoury muffins!

    Thanks MCH!

    Thanks Nora - I think all the tarts have been replaced by hot cross buns!

    Thanks Helen - they would be perfect for breakfast!

    Thanks Patricia!

    Thanks Y - I'm finding out anytime is a good time for fruitmince ;)

    Thank you Lauren - so happy to hear that the tarts went down so well. I think it was traditional to bottle the excess mince so if you take all the right precautions it shouldn't be a problem. I suppose the other way might be to freeze it in serving sized portions?

    ReplyDelete

© Cook (almost) Anything at Least Once | All rights reserved.
BLOG TEMPLATE HANDCRAFTED BY pipdig