Wednesday, October 10, 2007

Vegetable Soup with Pastina

For this week's Presto Pasta Night, generously hosted each week by Ruth from Once Upon a Feast, I'll be using pastina

pastina© by haalo




Pastina is a tiny pasta used for soups, more commonly found in a star shape.

Keeping with its traditional use I've made a very simple but nourishing soup using beef stock, onions, carrots, red capsicums, peas and zucchini flowers

Vegetable Soup with Pastina© by haalo


Vegetable Soup with Pastina

Pastina
1 red onion, finely sliced
2 carrots, diced
1 red capsicum, diced
peas
zucchini flowers, stamen removed and roughly chopped
beef or vegetable stock or even water

Sauté the onion, carrot and capsicum in a little olive oil and butter - cook slowly to allow the flavours to develop and the vegetables to soften and only slightly colour.

Add the hot stock and allow to simmer until the vegetables are almost done. Add the peas and pastine and simmer until both are tender. Remove from the heat and stir through the zucchini flowers.


Vegetable Soup with Pastina© by haalo


Pour into bowls and serve at once.

Because this is a fresh pasta it cooks really quickly. It also will expand on sitting - so when reheating you'll need to add more liquid.

10 comments

  1. What pretty soup! I'm familiar with the star shapes; my mother used to put the star-shaped pasta in our tomato soup when we were young!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Pastina was always my childhood favorite. I don't know why I never think to make it anymore. Thanks, Haalo, for reminding me how delicious they are, especially in your lovely soup.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't understand how you can take a dish using the simplest ingredients, and manage to make it look absolutely. heart wrenching. <3 yum.

    what kind of camera do you use?

    lol the other day I made a miso soup using wild salmon, mushrooms, and cauliflower! I made that right after I discovered your blog. I tried to take a picture with my fairly well digital camera and it didnt look good at all...

    ReplyDelete
  4. that looks gorgeous with so many colors working perfectly in it!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your soup takes me right back to my childhood - well, minus the zucchini flowers (my mother wouldn't have dreamed of putting flowers in soup!?!?! - I would)
    Absolutely gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  6. The soup does look wonderful. Thanks for sharing with Presto Pasta Nights.

    ReplyDelete
  7. The perfect dinner for a tiring and looong day as mine is today. Wonderful, Haalo!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks Christianne - I loved the star shapes!

    Thanks Susan, funny how we forget these things we loved so much.

    Thanks Joy - I like to think its the person behind the camera rather than the camera ;) Currently I'm using the nikon d80 with a 55mm micro-nikkor lens for the food shots

    Thanks Nabella!

    Thanks Katie - I'm having zucchini flower overload here and loving it!

    Thanks Ruth, always a pleasure!

    Thanks Patricia and welcome back from holidays!

    ReplyDelete

© Cook (almost) Anything at Least Once | All rights reserved.
BLOG TEMPLATE HANDCRAFTED BY pipdig