Sunday, August 26, 2007

Sugar High Friday #34

Going Local is the theme of this edition of Sugar High Friday hosted by Johanna from The Passionate Cook.

After tossing a few ideas in the air I finally settled on an ultra sweet treat that I haven't made in the longest time - Golden Syrup Dumplings. A timeless favourite that is a nod to our English heritage.

Golden Syrup Dumplings

Golden Syrup Dumplings
[Serves 4 or more]

1¼ cups self-raising flour
30 grams softened butter
1/3 cup golden syrup
1/3 cup milk

Sauce:
30 grams butter
175 grams brown sugar
½ cup golden syrup
1½ cups water

Make the Sauce:
Place the butter, brown sugar, golden syrup and water into a large pan and stir over a low heat until the sugar has dissolved. Increase the heat slightly until the mixture reaches boiling point, then turn the heat down and simmer for about 1 minute.

Make the dumplings:
Sift the flour into a bowl and rub in the softened butter. Add the the golden syrup and milk and stir until just combined.

Take tablespoons of the mixture and roll into balls.

Add the dumplings to the simmering sauce and cook, covered for about 20 minutes or until the dumplings are puffed and golden. You will have to turn the dumplings half way through the cooking time. It's also important not to overcrowd the pan as the dumplings do expand.

When they are cooked, serve immediately.

Golden Syrup Dumplings


Tagged with

15 comments

  1. These look very good!! I wish I could find golden syrup here...

    ReplyDelete
  2. They look amazing... I'm always surprised at the versatility of your recipes!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have been making syrup dumplings for a long time, I have recently discovered that adding some lemon juice to the sauce takes the edge of the sickly (but oh so good) sweet taste.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Mmm. Delicious. I've always had a weakness for golden syrup dumplings, despite an unfortunate double helping when I was about 8 years old. I think they keep expanding in the tummy...

    Thanks for the refresher. I might have to make them again. With a little more self control this time.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks Deborah - I hear that often, it's a shame that it's not readily available, maybe amazon would have it?

    Thanks Kevin, they are soft and sweet.

    Thanks Sil!

    Hi Angus - I should try adding lemon next time.

    Thanks Lorena - they are seriously moorish.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh MY! These look wonderful and I have a long-standing weakness for golden syrup. As soon as the weather turns a little cooler, I am going to make these. I am discovering how easy dumplings are to make :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks Jeanne - these are especially simple to make and they will certainly give anyone a heavy duty sugar high.

    ReplyDelete
  8. i've always wondered about what people use golden syrup for... and to think that they make dumplings makes and austrian's heart jump for joy. what a great contribution - thanks for taking part!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks Johanna - golden syrup has a big history in Australia due to our big sugar plantations in Queensland - golden syrup pudding is another classic.

    ReplyDelete
  10. These look so delicious that I want to run to kitchen and make some right away! I love recipes using golden syrup, treacle tart being my favourite, so it is great to discover a new idea.
    As a child we occasionally had yorkshire puddings drizzled in golden syrup as a treat after Sunday lunch. Sounds revolting but was actually rather good as I recall!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thanks Antonia - i always thought it a bit funny that treacle tart uses golden syrup and not treacle. Yorkshire puddings and golden syrup isn't a combination I've heard of before but maybe everything tastes better with a little golden syrup ;)

    ReplyDelete
  12. haalo,

    These are a new one on me - I've never heard of them before, even from Aussie folks I know. I'm anxious to see if I can find some golden syrup here and give them a try - they look way too tempting to pass up. Thanks for the post and the interesting blog.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thanks Erik - these are really good winter treats so you should have a bit of time to find golden syrup before the weather turns chilly. I know Amazon sells Lyle's Golden Syrup, it's an English brand - I'm not sure if any of the Australian brands are sold overseas.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Amazon sells the Lyles Golden Syrup, and in US, the larger stores in some major grocery chains carry it, such as Giant. I think Whole Foods may have it as well. It's quite nice, the Lyles golden syrup, not as sweet as Karo, buttery tasting.

    ReplyDelete

© Cook (almost) Anything at Least Once | All rights reserved.
BLOG TEMPLATE HANDCRAFTED BY pipdig