Friday, August 17, 2007

Beetroot and Marmalade

Beetroot and Marmalade...together...in the one recipe. It really isn't that odd and trust me, it's quite delicious.

Since I recently made Seville Orange Marmalade I do have a few jars of it lurking about the kitchen. Rather than limiting myself to having it on toast I've been incorporating it into other recipes.

One of the things I especially like to use Seville Orange Marmalade is in this dish.

beetroot and marmalade

It's simply segmented cooked beetroot (just boil them until tender, peel them and then cut them into eights) that have been gently sautéed in marmalade.

Before adding the beetroot, heat the marmalade in a pan until melted and starting to bubble - add the beetroot and toss them well, making sure they are fully coated in the molten marmalade. They will bleed out to form a deep red sauce that is alive with intense orange flavours. Continue cooking until the beetroot have warmed through and the sauce has thickened again. The touch of sweetness works well with the earthiness of the beetroot.

This is an excellent companion to all sorts of roasted meats.

Tagged with

10 comments

  1. This seems to be a really hip taste combo now. I just saw a great suggestion for beet root with an orange vinaigrette. I am still in awe of your preserve-making capabilities!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have never heard of beetroot marmalade before Haalo. But if you say it's delicious, I trust 100%. Have a great weekend my friend.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh Haalo, this is interesting! Right, I just have to try it somehow! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks SG - beetroot has a real affinity to orange and it is a flavour combination that you do see more of.

    Thanks Rose, hope your weekend is wonderful too. Just try a little orange zest over warm beetroot I think that will win you over.

    Thanks Anh - I hope you give it a go!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Just added this to my "try-as-soon-as-possible" list - such a great-sounding and unusual combination!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is so cool! Another great way to eat one of my favorite foods!

    ReplyDelete
  7. It's my first time here.
    I absolutely love your pics! They are so beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  8. i stayed at the city inn, london last night and had beetroot marmalade with roasted duck leg. wow! was a fantastic alternative to tipping plum or orange sauce over the duck. i am glad i found this reciep. i am going to make it for my friends!

    ReplyDelete

© Cook (almost) Anything at Least Once | All rights reserved.
BLOG TEMPLATE HANDCRAFTED BY pipdig