Monday, July 02, 2007

Pear Crumble Loaf

I've had some previous success with Liz Franklin's Quick Breads so I thought it was about time I returned to it's pages for another recipe. I was drawn to the photo of the Peach Streusel Loaf mainly due to it's hazelnut topping.

I've made a couple of adjustments to the original recipe - I've replaced the one peach with three pears (one peach just doesn't seem enough to justify calling it a peach loaf) and in the topping I've added 60 grams of hazelnuts rather than the meagre 2 tablespoons listed in the recipe.

The end result is deliciously moist and utterly moorish.

cake

Pear Crumble Loaf

320 grams plain flour
2 tablespoons baking powder
150 grams caster sugar
2 eggs
200mls milk
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
120 grams butter, melted and cooled
3 ripe pears, peeled, cored and diced

Crumble Topping:
50 grams plain flour
30 grams butter
50 grams brown sugar
60 grams roasted hazelnuts, roughly chopped

Preheat the oven to 180°C/350F - grease and line a loaf pan.

Make the topping:

Place the flour and butter into a bowl and rub together until the butter is incorporated. Stir through the sugar and hazelnuts.

Make the cake:

Sift flour and baking powder into a bowl - stir in the caster sugar.

Lightly whisk the eggs,milk, vanilla extract and butter together. Pour into the flour mix and gently mix together before folding in the pear pieces. Try not to overwork the batter.

Spoon into the loaf pan, smoothing down the surface.

Sprinkle the topping evenly over the loaf and bake for about 45 minutes or until golden and cooked through. If it's browning too quickly, then cover with foil and lower the temperature slightly.

topping

Let the loaf cool in the pan for about 15 minutes before moving it to a rack too cool completely.

slice

Serve in thick slices - the ideal companion to coffee or tea.

Tagged with

10 comments

  1. Good day Haalo!
    Everybody with me:"Hurray for adjustments" One peach?two tbsp of hazelnuts? No, no, no, no.
    Now, all I need is a slice of it with my cup of milk.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Pear and hazelnuts beautifully paired, Haalo - looks wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Haalo, that does look verrry moreish indeed. I like you adjustments, esp since peach season is a long way from now. Did you have to remove the skin of the roasted hazelnuts?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi there-
    Long time lurker...
    Just wanted to say how in love I am with your gorgeous blog. This recipe is no exception. I am one of those jaded food people (I teach cooking in the US) and am usually bored by a lot of food writing, but I love love love visiting here.
    I'm making the coca tonight. I love the idea of the lemon, thyme & cumin crust.
    Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Haalo - I love pears in baked goods and think that it pairs so well with either hazelnuts or almonds (my preferred nut). I think your modifications are justified, giving a loaf that is more robust and intensely flavoured. I'm keen to try this one before I leave for a long holiday to the US. Cheers!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Rose - I'll gladly save you a nice thick slice

    Thanks Patricia!

    Hi Nora - I was lucky with my hazelnuts in that they didn't have any skin but any skin should loosen off when you chop them.

    Hi Whiskeymarie and Welcome - thank you for those lovely comments. I'm so glad you enjoyed the Coca, the pastry does deserve a shrine ;)

    Hi Shaun - the pears pieces are just like soft sweet treats through the loaf, you could probably even add a couple more.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Haalo
    I tried making your pear cake and my 19 year old son who is a harsh critic said it was the best he had eaten in a long time!So thanks heaps.

    ReplyDelete
  8. How fabulous Poornima - so happy to hear that the cake was a success! Thank you and your son for the vote of approval!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi, just wanted to say this looks fabulous. So much so that I decided to make it as soon as I saw it. The only thing is, I was wondering what size loaf pan you used? Mine seems to be too small. The loaf is overflowing all over my oven. I'll let it cook and see how it goes...

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi Lyb - the loaf pan I used has an 8 cup capacity

    ReplyDelete

© Cook (almost) Anything at Least Once | All rights reserved.
BLOG TEMPLATE HANDCRAFTED BY pipdig