Monday, July 09, 2007

Corn Fritters

I've had Bill Granger's Bills Food sitting on the shelves for a few years now but apart from looking at the pretty photos I haven't actually cooked anything from it.

Today I changed that with this recipe for Corn Fritters.

corn fritters

Corn Fritters

90 grams ground rice/rice flour
60 grams plain flour
½ teaspoon salt
¼ teaspoon ground coriander
½ teaspoon ground cumin
1 egg, lightly beaten
1 teaspoon lemon juice
125 ml/½ cup water
350 grams corn kernels, cut from 3 corn cobs
4 spring onions, sliced finely
3 tablespoons fresh coriander, chopped finely

Sift the ground rice, flour, baking powder, salt, ground coriander and cumin into a bowl. Add the egg, lemon juice and water and whisk to form a smooth batter.

Add the corn kernels, spring onions and coriander and stir until just combined.

I'm going to issue a word of caution at this point. In the recipe these fritters are shallow fried but I would urge you to use a minimal amount of oil because of a simple chemical reaction.

Corn+Oil = Popping Corn

Too much oil in the frypan and the corn will pop and the last thing you want is to be hit by flying oil.

The fritters are formed using 2 tablespoons of the batter, flatten the mix out slightly. When the underside is crispy and the upperside is looking a little dry, flip and continue cooking. When browned, place the fritters on paper towels to remove any excess oil.

You can keep them warm, covered in the oven while you finish cooking the rest of the fritters.

They are best served as soon as you make them.

corn fritters

This is quite a mildly spiced fritter and you could happily increase the levels of spice.

Tagged with

11 comments

  1. These are delicious, Haalo!
    I love recipes with corn.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just wanted to let you know that I have tagged you for a meme... visit my blog to get the details!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I usually make zucchini fritters but never tried corn fritters. It sounds delicious. It's funny that we used corn at the same time this week.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a memory! My mother used to make something like this. Hers were not spicy and we ate them with maple syrup, but as a dinner entree. Everyone in the family loved them. Nowdays I think I'd like your version better though!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I usually make zucchini and corn fritters. They are especially good served with avocado and bacon with lime to finish. Really good!

    The recipe is on my blog at basilandginger.com if you're interested. Love your site Haalo!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've never seen corn fritters before, always zucchini flower...these look very appetizing! Don't forget to post your new DMBLGIT tag you winner you!

    ReplyDelete
  7. They look sooo wonderful! I love fritters.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yum. I love corn fritters. Now if I could only get my hands on some Miami conch fritters!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks Patricia - i love the taste of corn, it's so wonderfully juicy and sweet.

    Thanks Tara - I'll pop right over!

    Thanks Rose - your corn is far more stylish than this ;)

    Thanks Kalyn - there's a cafe here that does them with maple syrup...and bacon.

    Thanks Daniel - sounds delish I will have to check them out!

    Thanks Hilda - I didn't realise, now that's a big surprise!

    Thanks Sara!

    Thanks Stephen - I'm guessing that Conch is a little like Abalone?

    ReplyDelete
  10. AnonymousJuly 11, 2007

    Great photographs and they do look very tasty.

    I think I shall be making them very soon.

    Cheers,
    Kim

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thanks Kim - I hope you enjoy them1

    ReplyDelete

© Cook (almost) Anything at Least Once | All rights reserved.
BLOG TEMPLATE HANDCRAFTED BY pipdig