Thursday, June 14, 2007

Rhubarb and Apple Crumble

This is another recipe that incorporates stewed Rhubarb and as we are well and truly in the middle of rhubarb season, it's a product there's no shortage of.

You could make this purely with stewed rhubarb, but as I only had a smaller amount I've bulked it up with simple stewed apples. I've modified the crumble slightly and added flaked almonds.

crumble

Rhubarb and Apple Crumble

6 Granny smith apples
lemon juice
caster sugar
Stewed Rhubarb
150 grams self raising flour
150 grams soft brown sugar
150 grams melted butter
50 grams shredded coconut
50 grams flaked almonds
100 grams rolled oats

Prepare the apples:
Peel, core and quarter the apples, then cut into chunks. Place in a pan with a little lemon juice and caster sugar and cook over a medium heat until the apples have softened.

Place the cooked apples in the base of a baking dish then top with stewed rhubarb.

filling

Make the crumble:
Place the flour, sugar, coconut and rolled oats into a bowl - stir this well to ensure it's mixed through. Pour in the melted butter and continue stirring until almost combined. Add the flaked almonds and gently fold through the mix so not to break them up too much.

Take handfuls of the crumble and sprinkle evenly over the top of the fruit.

Bake in a preheated 180°C/350°F oven until golden brown and crunchy - about 35 minutes.

Let it cool for 5 minutes before serving with thick cream.

Tagged with

11 comments

  1. Those flaked almonds won my heart, Haalo - looks delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a great winter dessert! You reminded me that I have been longing for some good fruit crumble!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Um. Where do you live? I had to check the post's date, just to be sure it was current!

    But I'm so intrigued, your talking about 'rhubarb' season. In the northern hemisphere, rhubarb is a late-spring, early-summer plant. And while it freezes beautifully (and would pair perfectly with apples!) I sure wouldn't consider rhubarb a 'fall' or 'winter' vegetable.

    I'm so confused, help!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have yet to make something with rhubarb this year. I am feeling inspired now!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Haalo, what a coincidence! We had rhubarb and apple crumble last night too. But our crumble topping doesn't have coconut in it. We made crumble often because it's quick and we always have the ingredients at home. We usually have it with warm custard in winter and vanilla bean ice-cream in summer.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks Patricia - i do share your fondness of almonds plus they work well with apples.

    Thanks Anh - with these cold nights it's hard to beat a good crumble with some extra thick cream

    Oh Alanna - sorry to confuse you but here Rhubarb is in season all year round and for the last month or so the rhubarb has been looking particularly good - winter just slows it's growth a little. For us, rhubarb and rhubarb crumble is a definitive winter dessert.

    Hi Deborah - I'm sure you'll make something delicious with rhubarb!

    Hi Nora - crumbles are great when you want something tasty but quick and they are almost impossible to mess up. Don't think I've ever had custard with my crumble I may well have to do that next time!

    ReplyDelete
  7. My last experience with rhubarb wasn't very exciting but I do love apples and flaked almonds together. And the pictures, always a big fun. Have a wonderful weekend Haalo.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks Rose - hopefully the next experience with rhubarb will be better.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I just noticed that your crumble mix is practically identical to an ANZAC biscuit recipe, minus the golden syrup of course!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi again Haalo,
    I forgot to say that i am tagging your stewed rubarb recipe for my post today. Your recipe was so clearly written. I hope that's ok with you.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi Trig - I had to check out the Anzac recipe, they are similar though it uses desiccated coconut and raw sugar and there's no flaked almonds - you could change it to be closer and I think it would work really well.

    Thanks Nora - that's fine, glad to know you put the stewed rhubarb to good use, the muffins look great.

    ReplyDelete

© Cook (almost) Anything at Least Once | All rights reserved.
BLOG TEMPLATE HANDCRAFTED BY pipdig