Wednesday, June 06, 2007

Retro Recipe Challenge #7

For this edition of Retro Recipe Challenge Laura from Laura Rebecca's Kitchen asked us to prepare a dish with "international flair". As the case with previous events, the recipes need to have been first published before 1985.

As soon as I saw the word "international" one dish immediately came to mind - the uber retro, Swiss-classic, Fondue!

I've sourced this version from the utterly delightful Graham Kerr and his book The Complete Galloping Gourmet Cookbook published in 1973. I remember seeing The Galloping Gourmet on the Food Network in 1999 - back when the Food Network actually showed cooking programs.

fondue

Fondue

10 oz/280 grams Emmenthal Cheese
10 oz/280 grams Gruyère cheese
1 clove garlic, peeled
16 fl oz/500 mls dry white wine
2 teaspoons lemon juice
1 heaped teaspoon cornstarch/potato flour
2 fl oz/60 mls Kirsch

Cut the cheese into small cubes.

Rub the garlic clove inside your serving dish and inside a small saucepan.

Pour wine and lemon juice into the saucepan and heat gently, until it just starts to bubble.

Add the cheese, a handful at a time, stirring constantly.

Mix the kirsch with the potato flour/cornstarch.

Bring the cheese mix to near boiling point and add the kirsch mixture.

Whisk constantly in a figure 8 until smooth and creamy.

Pour this into your serving dish and place over a burner to keep warm.

Serve with cubes of French bread.

dipping

Dunk and enjoy!

Tagged with

9 comments

  1. Yum, this sure looks very 'dunk-able':p

    ReplyDelete
  2. So yummy! I used to make this when I was in college, a *very* long time ago.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am melting with this fondue... I wish I was a piece of bread!

    ReplyDelete
  4. i feel like a cheese fondue - right now in the middle of summer, oh this would be sooo good right now. can you get any vacherin cheese in australia? the so called "moitie-moitie" fondue is half gruyere, half vacherin. and very, very delicous!

    ReplyDelete
  5. ooohhh, I love cheese fondue. We received a fondue set for our wedding, but have not even used it yet. I am feeling like fondue now!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Haalo, cheese fondue is a must here at my house when the weather is cold - we have it every Friday night. João and I love it - I should try your recipe! I'm sure it will become a hit here! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Very retro indeed, Haalo!

    In fact we have a retro fondue on the tasting menu that my group devised as part of our development rotation. We get to make up our own tasting menu, which we run every Tuesday evening alongside the á la carte menu that we change each week. I haven't made the mix myself yet, but I think I've even seen ale, amongst other things, go into it!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Haalo, fondue rocks! Cheese fondue is perfect especially now that it's getting chilly. Has it been raining non-stop in Melbourne too? I did both cheese and choc fondue with two group of friends within a week, and it was so much fun. We also experimented pairing the fondues with different wines.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks Angie!

    Thanks Kalyn - would you believe this is my first Fondue!

    Thanks Rose - there's just something soooo good about bread soaked in warm cheese.

    Hi Myriam - luckily we do get vacherin here so I may well have to make that for my second fondue;)

    Thanks Deborah - my fondue set has been looking at me, wondering why I never used it either and now that I made it, I don't know why I took so long.

    Hi Patricia - if I bring the bread can I have some too ;)

    Thanks Trig - all sorts of things seem to go into fondue - there was another in the book that used brandy, edam and cheddar and you served it with apple slices and bread.

    Thanks Nora - unfortunately it hasn't been raining, the nights are cold but at the moment it's blue skies. Chocolate fondue is deadly!

    ReplyDelete

© Cook (almost) Anything at Least Once | All rights reserved.
BLOG TEMPLATE HANDCRAFTED BY pipdig