Wednesday, February 28, 2007

Soup is On!

Alanna from A Veggie Venture dedicated the whole of February to Soup's On and invited all and sundry to join in and celebrate.

Since today is the last day of summer I thought I'd whip something to celebrate the season. Needless to say this isn't one of your more usual soups but it still gives you that inner satisfaction that a serving of soup seems to bring.

cantaloupe

I've taken this wonderfully sweet and perfectly ripe cantaloupe and blended it with a little lime juice - served it with a fine dice of it's own flesh and a freshening hit of mint in the form of home-made mint ice cream.

soup

Cantaloupe Soup

1 cantaloupe
fresh lime juice
mint ice-cream, to serve

Take a third of the cantaloupe and cut into a very fine dice. Toss in a little lime juice and place in the fridge to chill.

Take the remaining cantaloupe and cut into round chunks. Place in a blender or food processor and blend until smooth. Use a fine mesh to strain - discard the pulp. Add a little fresh lime juice to taste, then chill in the fridge until ready to serve.

When ready to plate - use a small round mould and portion out the dice between the plates, packing it down to form a tight cylinder.

Pour the chilled cantaloupe soup around the cantaloupe core then top with a scoop of ice cream.

soup

Tagged with

10 comments

  1. Haalo,

    This is the perfect recipe for me - I love melons and, with the hot weather here, it's the only way I can think about soup. ;)

    Beautiful colors!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This sounds quite amazing. I love cantelope most of all the melons I think. In our family we always ate it with a scoop of vanilla ice cream.

    BTW, my condolences on the end of summer, but here we are really longing for it come!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the visual contrast!

    ReplyDelete
  4. OK - so it's orange. Haven't I grovelled enough for my earlier mistake? I'm into purple next, so beware!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks Patricia - one good thing about summer is the wonderful fruit.

    Thanks Kalyn - I am happy that summer is coming to an end though March is still quite a warm month, the worst is behind us. That said, I hope you have a wonderful summer!

    Thanks Margaret!

    Thanks Brilynn!

    Oh Trig - I've yet to see you grovel ;) Hmm purple... I wonder.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hello Haalo ~ Thanks so much for the summery entry into Soup's On! The very first cold soup I made was a savory cantaloupe soup, I remember it called for homemade chicken stock. But I love the simplicity of this idea. Thanks for the inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks Alanna - I'm a firm believer that if you have good produce then you don't really need to do much to it.

    ReplyDelete
  8. ahhhh halo, this looks so refreshing, and beauuuutiful!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks Aria - it's perfect for summer.

    ReplyDelete

© Cook (almost) Anything at Least Once | All rights reserved.
BLOG TEMPLATE HANDCRAFTED BY pipdig