Tuesday, February 13, 2007

Chocolate and Orange

It's been a while since I've made some cookies and I decided to experiment a little. I quite like the combination of chocolate and orange but rather than use the usual chocolate buds and orange zest I thought I'd try different forms of these flavours - namely Roasted Cocoa Nibs and Glacé Orange Slices.

Cookies

Cocoa Nibs and Glacé Orange Cookies
[Makes 40]

125 grams softened butter
200 grams caster sugar
1 egg
1 teaspoon vanilla bean paste or vanilla extract
200 grams self-raising flour, sifted (or use 200 grams plain flour mixed with 1 teaspoon baking powder)
40 grams roasted cocoa nibs
40 grams glacé orange slices, finely diced

Preheat the oven to 180°C/350°F.

Place the butter and sugar into a bowl and beat until creamy and the sugar is incorporated.
Add the egg and vanilla bean paste and beat until combined.

Toss a spoonful of flour into the diced glacé orange and mix through - this helps separate the small dice and will stop it from clumping.

Stir the rest of the flour gently through the mixture using a spoon and then add the cocoa nibs and glacé orange - stir until just mixed through.

Use a small ice-cream scoop to form the cookies - leave space around each for spreading.

Bake for about 10 minutes or until golden.

Let them sit on the tray for a minute before moving them to a wire rack to cool completely.

cookies

This is one experiment that I can say was a complete success. The nibs give you that chocolate flavour but without unnecessary sweetness, it's a more adult taste and the orange perfumes the whole cookie.

Tagged with

21 comments

  1. Haalo, I love orange and chocolate together.

    Im must have a look out for the cocoa nibs...is it a common named brand that you use?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've just read your original post about cocoa nibs...sorry. You've answered my question:):)
    thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The combination of chocolate and orange is such a wonderfully verstile couple. These look wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  4. We regularly buy 70% chocolate with orange from the local supermarket. I'm particularly fond of chocolate with chilli! Love the photo as always - you can see the texture in the broken biscuit so clearly.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lovely cookies Haalo. You tempted me to try this soon... But first I have to go and get the special chocolate nibs. :) I remember you said it is available from The Essential Ingredient, am I right?

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love the combination of chocolate and orange and will have to give this a try - I am on a bit of a cookie baking splurge at the moment!

    ReplyDelete
  7. An exquisite match, and the photography as always is stunningly delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Carol - I do hope you try the cocoa nibs, they really do have a most interesting taste and texture

    Thanks Chris!

    Thanks Trig - the biscuit is sort of crunchy but chewy, crisp edges and a softish centre. I wonder what chocolate chilli biscuits would taste like?

    Thanks Anh - yep Essential Ingredients sells Callebaut and I have seen that Monsieur Truffle also at Prahran Market has their own but I haven't found out anymore about it. I can recommend buying through Tava - it's pretty painless.

    Thanks Tim - do let me know how they turn out for you!

    Thanks TW that's very kind of you.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Haalo,

    I am always stunned by the cookies you bake - they are always beautiful and delicious and sometimes even unusual, like this!

    I'm an orange fan and love it with chocolate - great combination!

    ReplyDelete
  10. uh..Haalo, for a minute there I thought I was in the twilight zone! You replied me even before I could leave a comment.I realize that you have mistaken me for cakebaker cakemaker. Anyhow, your cookies look sensational- just in time for the Chinese New Year Celebration this Sunday. Just need to go look for some cocoa nibs. As always, you impress me,gurl!

    ReplyDelete
  11. This is my first visit to your wonderful food blog. Wonderful treasure of very interesting and delightful recipes. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Sounds wonderful. I'm always looking for a good cookie recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thanks Patricia - it's just a different way of combining those wonderful flavours

    Carol - i'll just blame it on brain failure due to heat and apologies to Karen

    Thanks Freya!

    Thanks Dinnerware and welcome!

    Thanks Vane - hope you give them a go.

    ReplyDelete
  14. LOL.... no worries Haalo, I know the feeling after so many 40 deg. plus days here too. Parts of W.A. have had 45 deg plus for a week. Can you imagine??

    I'm trying these biscuits out next week as part of a coporate morning tea I've been asked to do.
    We don't have Essential Ingredient here anymore, I think Simon Johnson might have the cocoa nibs though.

    ReplyDelete
  15. As if the photo wasn't mouth-watering enough, your description makes them sound downright heavenly!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Thanks Karen - that's just way too hot. This current wave won't end until monday it's just zaps all your energy. I hope the biscuits are a success for you - I will love to know what you thought of them.

    Thanks Susan - they are satisfying to make and to eat ;)

    ReplyDelete
  17. Haalo, a belated comment to thank you very much for this recipe. I have made it a couple of times and it's won many fans! (Michael can not stop eating these when he knows they're in the house.) The combination of unsweetened cocoa nibs with the sweet buttery dough is just magic.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Thank you Cindy - happy to hear that you've really enjoyed them, I must admit I have a real soft spot for them too

    ReplyDelete
  19. hi haalo - made these biscuits on the weekend and they are pretty amazing - I am still not sure of the cocoa nibs but I have found these biscuits very moreish!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Hi Johanna - the taste isn't for everyone but you never know until you try it - you can easily replace the nibs with straight chocolate chips. I did read your post and if you are looking for candied fruit in the future I tend to buy mine from Prahran Market - they are more reasonably priced than David Jones and the range is pretty large, you can buy the candied orange in slices rather than buying it as a whole.

    ReplyDelete

© Cook (almost) Anything at Least Once | All rights reserved.
BLOG TEMPLATE HANDCRAFTED BY pipdig