Friday, February 23, 2007

Baked Eggs

One of my must buys at the farmers' market are eggs - but not just ordinary eggs. They must be these...

eggs

barely fitting into their carton, these Jumbo eggs from Green Eggs are my first purchase of the day.

eggs

With some of these eggs I thought I'd do something a bit traditional - a neat idea for breakfast or lunch, Baked eggs.

2DSC_0788.jpg

Baked Eggs
[Serves 4]

150 grams silverbeet/swiss chard leaves, shredded roughly
1 large red onion, finely sliced
4 large eggs
4 tablespoons cream
salt and freshly ground pepper

Heat a little olive oil in a pan and add the onions. Sauté over a medium heat until softened and beginning to caramelise. Add the shredded silverbeet leaves and continue to cook until just wilted. Season with salt and freshly ground pepper.

Divide the mixture into 4 oven-proof ramekins. Make a slight indentation into the centre of each. Crack the egg onto this mixture making sure you don't damage the yolk.

eggs

Spoon a tablespoon of cream over each ramekin and place in a baking tray that has been half filled with boiling water.

eggs

Place this into a preheated 160°C/320°F oven and cook for about 10 minutes - I love my eggs extremely runny, if you don't just cook it longer.

baked egg

I've served this with some slices of Ligurian olive bread.

Tagged with

16 comments

  1. Very nice, I love the idea for a breakfast in bed. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. fantastic, really sensational ... and stunning fotos, als always ... beautiful, so beautiful ... hmmmm ... i have to bookmark that righ now!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is so simple, but makes a great presentation, I like it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Also known as coggled eggs...i luv these.I usually use the regular white ramekins but i love the cups u have used.Looks beautiful as u can see al the way thru whats inside.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love baked eggs! I do variations, like leeks at the bottom, Gruyere on top. Once I did sauteed cabbage, bacon and fried diced potatoes underneath. Heavenly!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I the looks of those eggs! You're right, they aren't ordinary at all.

    Paz

    ReplyDelete
  7. Must be a contender for food blog post of 2007. Everything I really like about your blog in one posting.

    ReplyDelete
  8. oh lovely! what fantastic photography.

    have you tried the baked eggs with chorizo at small block on lygon street, brunswick? a bit rich but delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh my, this is just too yummy to miss!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Ooh, that looks delicious. It sounds easy to make too. Must attempt this soon.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thanks Ninnie!

    Thanks Gerda, hope you enjoy it!

    Thanks Brilynn!

    Thanks Kate - I don't have proper egg coddlers so I improvised. These glass ramekins are great for soufflés too.

    Hi Vicki - They all sound so delicious - you really can do these in whatever way you like, from simple to luxurious.

    Thanks Paz - I love that huge egg up at the front.

    Thanks Trig, once again you are too kind.

    Thanks Truffle - haven't been there but I have had an excellent Spanish styled baked beans chorizo and eggs at Gropius in Richmond. A fantastic dish for winter.

    Thanks Anh!

    Thanks Lisa - cracking the egg is probably the most difficult part of this! Do let me know how it turns out for you.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I did these with spinach a few weeks ago -- just gorgeous! And a friend reminded me later that they're also called 'shirred' eggs. Great, as always, Haalo!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thanks Alanna - they are good comfort food. I haven't heard the term "shirred" eggs before I must look that up.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Just gorgeous - baked eggs are one of my comfort foods. I once made them with left over mash on the bottom, with sauteed leeks stirred through, halved cherry tomatoes over the top, then the egg and cream. Beyond good. It was so good I've since made tiny amounts of mash just to make this dish!

    BTW where did you get these lovely glasses from (if you don't mind sharing)? They look wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Thanks Julie - anything with potatoes wins me over and your eggs sound fabulous!

    I got these at a closing down sale a few years back - if I remember correctly they are Spanish. Unfortunately I've never seen anything like them since.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Thanks, will keep an eye out for something similar - they are just adorable!

    ReplyDelete

© Cook (almost) Anything at Least Once | All rights reserved.
BLOG TEMPLATE HANDCRAFTED BY pipdig