Saturday, January 27, 2007

Hay Hay It's Donna Day #9

Tami from Running with Tweezers is hosting this edition of Hay Hay It's Donna Day and decided on the uplifting theme of Soufflé.

With a love for coffee, I couldn't think of anything better than a cup of Coffee Soufflé!

souffle

Coffee Soufflé
[Serves 4]

125ml milk
60ml espresso coffee
50 grams caster sugar
25 grams butter
25 grams cornflour/cornstarch
2 egg yolks
2 egg whites
1 tablespoon caster sugar, extra

Preheat your oven to 180°C/350°F - place an oven tray in the oven and let this heat up too. When it comes to cooking your soufflés place them on this heated tray to ensure they maximise their exposure to heat, which will in turn, help them rise.

Prepare the moulds:
Butter your moulds using upward strokes - this helps to guide your soufflé to the heavens. Then drop a spoonful of caster sugar into the mould, start tilting and turning the mould to ensure it's completely coated. Remove any excess sugar.

Prepare the custard:
Place the milk, coffee and sugar into a small saucepan - stir to dissolve the sugar and let come to a near boil. Set to one side.
Place the butter in a saucepan over a gentle heat - allow to melt before adding the cornflour. Whisk until smooth before adding the milk mixture. Continue to whisk until thickened then remove from heat.
Allow to cool slightly before adding the egg yolks - it's most important to stir vigourously at this stage as you don't want to cook the eggs. You should have a thick glossy mixture.
Set this aside to cool.

Prepare the egg whites:
Whisk the egg whites until soft peak forms then add the extra tablespoon of caster sugar - continue whisking until glossy.

Make the soufflé
Place a quarter of the egg-white mixture into the cooled custard and stir well to slacken the mix. Add the remaining egg whites and gentle fold in trying to keep as much air in the mix as possible.

Spoon this into your moulds - filling about three-quarters full. Use your finger to create an indentation between the edge of the mould and the filling - this helps to concentrate the rise.

Place on the oven tray and cook for about 10 minutes - actually cooking time will depend on the size of the moulds used. Keep the oven light on so you can check on their progress without opening the door.

Once cooked, serve at once!

Tagged with :

23 comments

  1. Looks wonderful Haalo! Suits my coffee addiction to a T.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Haalo, anything coffee then pls count me in! :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Lorena!

    Thanks Anh - this is like a fluffy latte.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I can't have coffee (2yrs coffee free...if it wreaked havoc on my digestive system before, god knows what it'll do to me now), but this is almost tempting enough for me to devour.

    Almost ;) Just so long as there's a doctor on call!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is so beautiful, Haalo!

    I love the idea of baking the souffle in a cup - it looks lovely and new!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm not much of a coffee drinker, but I could go for this at least once! ;-)

    Paz

    ReplyDelete
  7. what a cool idea! Love the souffle in a coffee mug.

    ReplyDelete
  8. How pretty! More coffee to feed my addiction! What a great entry!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Gosh Ellie - it still must be so hard to avoid coffee. I suppose you could substitute Chicory and it would be somewhat coffee-like.

    Thanks Patricia - you should try baking a souffle in an egg!

    Thanks Paz - it's not very big so you might have to try two ;)

    Thanks Lara!

    Thanks Helene!

    ReplyDelete
  10. This looks so lovely, especially in the cup. I've seen some recipes that call for heavy cream, while some calls for milk. Yours sound healthier to me. lolz..=)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thanks Jacelyn - I would think that using cream would just weigh the soufflé down - usually the cream or ice cream is served alongside the soufflé, that's the better way of doing it.

    ReplyDelete
  12. love how it's baked in a coffee mug!

    did you get caught in the rain last Saturday?

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thanks Cin - I'd left the market by then and was just sitting down for breakfast at a cafe when it came pouring down. It was intense!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Really nice! I love coffee so I will be trying this shortly!

    Cheers

    ReplyDelete
  15. How unique! Those look wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Thanks Food Traveller - do let me know how they turn out!

    Thanks Rachel!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Fantastic Haalo. Nice idea for a dinner party I think. Thanks for joining HHDD.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I love coffee too...this looks so elegant and I'm sure it is delicious too! :)

    ReplyDelete
  19. Thanks Joey - I think next time I'll have to make them in larger cups ;)

    ReplyDelete
  20. where the heck did you find those awesome espresso cups..tall and thin like that? please please tell me!

    ReplyDelete
  21. hi Jamie - unfortunately they are a discontinued line and I got them maybe a year ago. They were made by local company Salt & Pepper.

    ReplyDelete
  22. AnonymousJune 19, 2009

    Hey Haalo - wow your blog is gorgeous. Thanks for sharing. I'd love to try to make this beautiful souffle and was wondering if I could bake it in any mug (I don't have ramekins), or how one might test a mug for bakeability?

    ReplyDelete

© Cook (almost) Anything at Least Once | All rights reserved.
BLOG TEMPLATE HANDCRAFTED BY pipdig