Saturday, January 13, 2007

Cheese: Timboon Farmhouse Cheese

Staying in Victoria but moving to the south west of the State, it's home to one of our most famous natural attractions, the 12 Apostles. It's also home to Timboon Farmhouse Cheese.

Timboon Farmhouse Cheese was established in 1985 by Herman Schultz and uses bio-dynamic methods in the production of their cheese including the use of non-animal rennet. Though no longer owned by Schultz, the cheese is still made from the milk of his herd of Jersey and Friesian cows.

fetta

Cheese Maker: Timboon Farmhouse Cheese
Cheese Type: Gourmet Fetta
Location: 23 Ford and Fells Road, Timboon Victoria
Open: Daily 9.30am to 5pm for light lunches and tastings at "The Mousetrap"

Now, I am quite fond of marinated fetta to the extent that I make my own but that doesn't mean that I don't appreciate commercially available varieties.

inside

Inside each jar you'll find 3 discs of organic cows' milk fetta marinated in Canola oil and a mix of dried herbs and spices - there's bay leaf, peppercorns, chilli flakes, dried oregano to name a few.

cheeseboard

Tastewise, it's fairly low in salt and very creamy which is directly attributable to the milk blend used and really quite easy to eat on it's own. Superficially, it looks very attractive on a cheese board.

fetta

It's also excellent in salads and don't forget to use some of it's oil for the dressing as it's full of flavour.


Tagged with

9 comments

  1. Hi Haalo,
    What a lovely post.

    I must admit I'm not a fan of Feta cheese, but my son is.

    The link to your version of marinated fetta was nice because these are common ingredients that I have on hand.

    I'll try my hand at making it. Let my son be the judge. LOL.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Haalo,

    I'm loving your cheese series! Downside is all this cheese of yours is making me horribly jealous...

    I am going to try and find some of this type from our local cheesemonger. It looks like it would be wonderful on a pesto topped pizza.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Haalo,

    You and the cheeses you post here make me sooo curious! :D

    I have never had feta and should go look for it asap. I've seen so many recipes calling for feta, it seems to be so refreshing...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks Karen - feta does vary alot, some can be fairly dry and chalky others are nice and creamy. There are cow, sheep and goat versions so you never know you might find one you like. If you don't, I'm sure your son will enjoy eating the experiments ;)
    For the marinated fetta you can really just throw in whatever you have on hand and just leave it a few days.

    Thanks Breadchick - there are so many wonderful cheeses in the world, it's just a matter of finding them. This is really nice on pizza or even focaccia - tossed through pasta instead of parmesan is another use.

    Hi Patricia - best advice on feta is to just try and try again - there are so many styles from different countries, it's just a matter of finding one that you like.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I thought I would take a closer look at the Fetta when I went to the grower's market today.
    What a variety.

    I noticed some local marinted fetta...would you believe $7.00 per 400g...is that an incentive to make your own or what!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. "marinated" it's getting past my bedtime.:):)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Karen - marinated fetta it's a lot like Labne - you can buy it but when it's that easy to make, why would you?

    ReplyDelete
  8. My thoughts exactly.

    Especially when we have someone like you to show us how to make it so well:):)

    ReplyDelete
  9. You are too kind Karen - it's so nice to be able to share these things!

    ReplyDelete

© Cook (almost) Anything at Least Once | All rights reserved.
BLOG TEMPLATE HANDCRAFTED BY pipdig