Tuesday, December 05, 2006

Cheese: Red Hill Sorrento Picnic

This is another cheese from Red Hill Cheese - you can find out more about the dairy in my earlier post.

sorrento picnic

This is the Sorrento Picnic - a cow's milk cheese made in the cheddar style. It's sold as a distinctive mini-truckle, in both whole rounds and halves.

mini-truckle

It's quite a thin rind - and depending on maturation state, it can go from a lovely white to a beige tinged rind as this one. The more mature the cheese the darker the rind.

open

Inside you'll find this beautiful golden cheese - it's semi-hard, quite easy to cut with a smooth texture, it certainly doesn't crumble when you slice it. You might be able to make out the lighter coloured core - it's still a month away from full maturation.

It has a fresh, sweet aroma, more asparagus rather than mushroom notes - smooth and creamy in the mouth with a mild taste that lingers. It does have a slightly acidic finish which adds to it's clean flavour.

This would be really nice served with fresh dates.

Tagged with

4 comments

  1. Haalo,

    I like your posts about cheese - I get to know somethings I have never seen before! :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Patricia - I enjoy them doing them, gives me an excuse to enjoy some wonderful cheese.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Haalo

    I have been meaning to compliment you on your blog for so long now - I really enjoy reading it, but I especially enjoy the pictures of your cooking. You take lovely photos, have a real eye for design/composition, and obviously have some lovely dishes on which to serve things.

    One thing is bugging me, though - who eats all of your wonderful food?! If I cooked as much as you I'd be 6 foot wide!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Tla - Thanks for the comments, that's very nice of you to take the time to write.
    Some of the food are just parts of everyday meals, some are for parties so they shared with family and friends and other items are enjoyed by very happy employees ;) I also don't necessarily post in chronological order of consumption. I hope that answers the question. :)

    ReplyDelete

© Cook (almost) Anything at Least Once | All rights reserved.
BLOG TEMPLATE HANDCRAFTED BY pipdig