Monday, November 27, 2006

Zwiebeltag - Onion Day



Zorra from Kochtopf has asked us to join in and help celebrate Zwiebeltag or Onion Day and with such a gorgeous logo, how could I resist?

I've decided to make one of my favourite Indian starters - Onion Bhajis. It's a simple mix of sliced onion, besan flour, egg and assorted spices. Fried, in odd shaped bite-sized portions they really do make your taste-buds zing. I'm not sure how authentic the spice mix is but it does offer the same flavourings as I'd expect to fine in a real Bhaji - so in this spirit, I refer to these as being Onion Bhaji~esque.

bhajis

Onion Bhaji~esque
[Makes about 16 bite sized Bhajis]

1 large onion, halved and sliced thinly lengthways
1 tablespoon fresh coriander leaves, sliced finely
¼ cup besan flour
½ teaspoon turmeric
½ teaspoon ground cumin
1 teaspoon garam masala
¼ teaspoon chilli powder
1 egg
freshly ground salt, to taste

Sift the besan, turmeric, cumin, garam masala and chilli powder into a bowl. Make a well in the centre, add the egg and whisk to combine. Stir through the sliced onions and coriander leaves and season with a little ground salt.

The mixture should be quite stiff.

Take scant tablespoons of the mixture and shallow fry - form a flatish, circular shape. Don't be too concerned with making them perfectly round, they look nicer a bit wilder in design. Brown on both sides and then drain well on paper towels.

Serve while hot - coriander flavoured yoghurt makes an excellent accompaniment.

bhajis

Tagged with :

16 comments

  1. beautiful - ... und bestimmt ausgesprochen lecher!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh they look beautiful! You did all right in the spice department, but generally Indians don't include eggs in their bhajias.
    You do cook from a lot of cuisines...I admire you for that!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am discovering these and I think they'll be on tomorrow's menu. They look beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, those do look awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks Gerda!

    Thanks Nabeela - I'll try it again without the egg next time. One of the good things about Australia is that we have so many influences in our cooking and we pick and choose the most fitting methods to go with the produce.

    Thanks Helene - I hope you enjoy them!

    Thanks Ruth!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Haalo, I must try your onion bhaji-esque, I can imagine how good it tastes!
    And excellent styling job on the dish, they look adorable!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm halfway through making these - the mix is sitting in the bowl while the kids to go to bed - and I can't wait to get frying.
    Thanks for tonight's inspiration Haalo!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your starter looks so delicous. I would like to eat it immedately!
    Thank you for particpating in the event.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Haalo, what a great thing to do with onions - I like it!

    I'm not familiar with Indian food, but these look beautiful and I think they're not complicated to prepare. Good suggestion!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks Gattina - they say you shouldn't put red and green together but I thought it looked good.

    Hi Lorena - hope you enjoy them !

    Thanks Zorra - it was lots of fun, thanks for organising the event!

    Hi Patricia - it's pretty mildly spiced, it's more fragrant than spicy hot. It doesn't really overpower the onions at all.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Does that first onion look like a pot leaf to anyone else?... They look delicious regardless.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Haalo - This is now on my list of items to consider making for my "Party Food" entry for WCC. I'm going have a little tapas-inspired night with flavors that either lend towards the Middle East or India...Haven't yet decided.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Ohhhh! Very, very delicious looking!

    Paz

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hi Brilynn- I was hoping for someone to say they could see the face of jesus in them - then I could flog it for a fortune on ebay ;)

    Hi Shaun - that's a hard decision, either way with you cooking, it will be delicious!

    Thanks Paz!

    ReplyDelete
  15. your blog is AMAZING. i spent more than an hour browsing through your recipe archive! :) i'm planning to try out the apricot almond oatmeal cookie recipe tonight!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Thanks Mariya - hope you enjoy the cookies!

    ReplyDelete

© Cook (almost) Anything at Least Once | All rights reserved.
BLOG TEMPLATE HANDCRAFTED BY pipdig