Thursday, November 16, 2006

Mini Spring Rolls

This is part of Blog Party #16: Take Out hosted by Stephanie of Dispensing Happiness.

Spring Rolls are probably a must have for most people when they order Chinese Take Out. These mini versions are filled with a mix of vegetables and Hoisin sauce.

spring rolls

Mini Spring Rolls
[Makes about 20]

Small Spring Roll wrappers, 8cm/3 inch squares

Filling:
1 large carrot, peeled and grated
3 large spring onions/scallions, sliced finely on the diagonal
3 medium sized mushrooms, finely sliced
120 grams cabbage, very finely shredded
3 tablespoons Hoisin Sauce
¼ teaspoon Five Spice Powder

1 egg, lightly beaten
oil, for deep frying

Keep the spring roll wrappers under a damp cloth to stop them from drying out.

Make the filling:
In a bowl, add the carrot, spring onions, mushrooms, cabbage, Hoisin Sauce and Five spice powder. Mix until it's well combined.

Make the spring rolls:
Take a wrapper and place it diagonally on a board - you want the corner facing you, it should look like a diamond.

Place a tablespoon of filling just up from the edge of the corner.
Fold the corner tightly over, fold in the sides.
Brush the wrapper with the beaten egg, then continue rolling to form a tight roll.
Set this to one side (rest it seam side down) while you make the other rolls.

Cook the spring rolls:

The spring rolls should take 2-3 minutes to cook as it's contents are raw. I'd be aiming at having the oil at 150°C/300°F.
Remember not to overcrowd the pan as this will drop the oil temperature and cause the rolls to stew rather than fry.
Always drain the cooked rolls well and place them on paper towels to remove any excess oil.

spring rolls

Because these are quite saucy inside, they really don't need any accompaniments and can be enjoyed as they are.

Tagged with

13 comments

  1. Haalo, I don't eat red meat and loved this filling suggestion!

    The other day, I ate sweet spring rolls: one was filled with chocolate and banana, the other with cheese and guava jam (this combination is called "Romeo and Juliet" here in Brazil).

    Kind of crazy, but delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ohhh! I love spring rolls! I must learn to make these! Thanks for the recipe!

    Paz

    ReplyDelete
  3. Delicious! I love spring rolls.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh Patricia, I just love the sound of the banana and chocolate - I must try that, I can imagine the chocolate melts during the cooking. The cheese and guava sounds most intriguing - I wonder what type of cheese they use, maybe something like ricotta?

    Hi Paz - It's a lot easier making the larger spring rolls when you first start - they are less of a fiddle to roll but once you get the hang of it you should be able to make the smaller ones without any problem.

    Thanks Sara!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yuuuuuuum! What a bad idea checking this out before lunch, now all I want are sizzling-hot, crunchy spring rolls!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks Julie - I know that feeling too!

    ReplyDelete
  7. They look delicious! Now I'm hungry!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Haaol Hi.

    I made these little spring rolls tonight as an entree.
    Well I have learned a few things for next time.
    I think I need to make them really tight little rolls, I didn't roll them tighly enough and they puffed out a bit. Not like your neat little ones.
    Also, even though my thermometer read 300 deg mine didn't brown very well.

    Maybe next time I will brush the egg wash all over to help the browning.
    All in all though they tasted really nice and they were very moist.

    Might I say there were none left.LOL

    Thanks again.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi CB - You do have to roll them very tightly, there really can't be any air pockets so to speak within the roll - air can cause them to explode. If they aren't browning and you've cooked them for a couple of minutes then just increase the temperature of the oil to get that crisp finish. You've got to be a bit fluid with the oil temperature, it takes a little bit of practice but soon you'll understand what the oil is saying. It's always a good sign if they all got eaten - hopefully next time they will be picture perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi Haalo,

    I'm sure they will be much better next time.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Just an update on my spring roll saga LOL:):)

    Not to let it beat me, I made some spring rolls tonight for dinner.
    They were terrific, no air pockets, nice tightly rolled little cigar shaped morsels.
    They are so moorish too.
    Thanks again Haalo.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Excellent CB - once you get the rolling down you are home and hosed. Happy to hear you enjoyed them!

    ReplyDelete

© Cook (almost) Anything at Least Once | All rights reserved.
BLOG TEMPLATE HANDCRAFTED BY pipdig