Saturday, November 25, 2006

Cherry Risotto

Cenzina from Il Cavoletto di Bruxelles has chosen Risotto as the theme for this edition of Hay Hay! It's Donna Day!

I've decided to do something a little different and make a sweet risotto rather than the traditional savoury risotto. This dish is inspired by a strawberry risotto I had a couple of years ago. As a celebration of the season, I've combined poached cherries (you'll find that recipe if you follow the link) with arborio rice and used a milk and cream mixture as my stock to create, Cherry Risotto.

cherry risotto© by Haalo


Cherry Risotto
[Serves 4 or 2 greedy people]

1 cup arborio rice
45 grams butter
3 cups milk
1 cup cream
1 teaspoon vanilla bean paste or vanilla extract
Poached cherries, with reserved juice

Place the milk, cream and vanilla bean paste into a saucepan and bring gently to boiling point.

Meanwhile, begin melting the butter in a large saucepan and then add the rice. Stir well to ensure the rice is well coated in the butter. Cook this for a few minutes - you want the rice to get glossy and a bit translucent.

Add a half cup of the boiling milk mixture. This should absorb fairly quickly and as soon as it has, add another half cup. Keep stirring and when this has absorbed add another half cup and 1 tablespoon of the reserved poached cherry liquid. This is going to be my sweetener and it will also colour the risotto.

You need to continue this process of stirring and adding the just boiling milk and poaching liquid - you'll notice that the time between additions will get longer as the rice cooks.

When you've got about 1 cup of milk mixture left - add a half cup of drained poached cherries to the risotto and continue as before.

The risotto is finished when the rice has softened and become creamy - it should by now have a lovely delicate rose blush to it.

Serve hot with a spoonful of reserved poached cherry juice and some extra poached cherries on top.

cherry risotto© by Haalo


It's almost too pretty to eat - almost ;)

15 comments

  1. True enough! It's almost too pretty to eat! ;)

    White_poplar.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks divine! Apparantly Il Tempo on Degraves St has a strawberry and champagne risotto that isn't too bad, but I think I like this creamy cherry risotto better!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Haalo, risotto is my favorite food in the whole world - the idea of having it as dessert is really something! :D

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks Ellie - the strawberry and champagne risotto does sound very interesting, never thought of adding wine, maybe next time?

    Hi Patricia - Thank you! Risotto is such a classic dish you really can do anything with it and it can become anything you want.

    ReplyDelete
  5. i love sweet risotto and this one looks fantastic!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks Anna - the yes received when seconds were offered meant it was a success in this household ;)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I don't know how I missed this post, I wanted to make a more dessert like risotto but didn't get around to it, this looks fabulous!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks Brilynn - it's something that I'll be making again!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Haalo - I so want some of that. I've never tried a sweet risotto. I've bookmarked the page to try it when I get some fresh cherries. Thanks for participating and good luck with the voting.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks Barbara, it's always a fun event - you could do this with any fruit - apple and cinnamon would be a great combination. Do let me know how it works out for you!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Beautiful recipe Haalo. About 2 months ago there was a recipe for a breakfast risotto by Matthew Evans in the Sydney Morning Herald - made with milk and stewed pear. At the time I really liked the idea, but your recipe is even better - cherries, what a fantastic combination.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thanks Kathryn! Stewed pear sounds quite lovely especially for winter.

    ReplyDelete
  13. That looks wonderful! A sweet risotto, with cherries to boot...delicious! :) I have never had a sweet risotto, but I have had arroz con leche and I guess it's similar...I'm going to try these fruit ones...thanks for sharing you recipe! :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Thanks Joey - I think it's very similar to a rice pudding just made following risotto methodology. Hope you enjoy trying them out!

    ReplyDelete

© Cook (almost) Anything at Least Once | All rights reserved.
BLOG TEMPLATE HANDCRAFTED BY pipdig