Friday, October 27, 2006

Wattle Seed Madeleines

Jeanne from Cooksister has chosen the utterly enchanting theme of little bites of delight for this edition of Sugar High Friday.

After much contemplation I finally settled on the classic Madeleine - but gave it an Australian twist with the addition of ground wattleseeds. I have used wattle seeds previously but to recap they have subtle coffee flavour with hints of hazelnut and chocolate. Since we are dealing with a small item, this is an ideal way to impart a lot of flavour by the addition of one simple ingredient.

The wattle seeds themselves give a slight speckled appearance to the Madeleines and turn this delicate treat into something with a little more complexity.

Wattle Seed Madeleines© by haalo


Wattle Seed Madeleines
[Makes about 60 mini madeleines]

90 grams butter, melted and cooled
1 teaspoon ground wattleseeds
2 eggs
75 grams caster sugar
20 grams soft brown sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
90 grams plain flour, sifted
1 teaspoon baking powder,
icing sugar, to dust

Combine the wattleseeds with the cooled melted butter and set to one side.

Place the eggs, sugars and vanilla extract into a food processor and process until combined. Add sifted flour and baking powder - process briefly to combine. With motor running add the cooled butter/wattleseed.

Pour this into a bowl and cover - place in the fridge to rest at least one hour or overnight.

Preheat the oven to 180°C/350°F.

Butter and flour the Madeleine moulds.

Spoon batter to two-thirds fill each mould and bake 8-10 minutes or until golden and cooked through.

Let them cool slightly in the tray before dislodging them.

Allow to cool completely on a wire rack, pattern side up.

Dust with icing sugar before serving.

Wattle Seed Madeleines© by haalo


Just for fun, I've used this mix to form two other shapes - a small barquette and a small pyramid - each easily consumed in a bite or two.

This recipe is based on these Honey Madeleines.

14 comments

  1. I need to try to find some wattleseed here, everytime I see you post something about it I want to try it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Brilynn - you can get ground wattleseeds from Amazon, might be the easiest way of sourcing them. Hope that helps!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Haalo, those madeleines look so beautiful! Congrats!

    I had to google the seeds, since I didn't know they were edible, what a nice thing!

    I want to prepare something nice as a gift for a lovely lady who works here with me (she's coming back from vacation next week) and I think these madeleines would be a great choice...

    Tks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Haalo, I've recently discovered food blogs and I just love yours! All the food and photos are wonderful. Looking forward to trying out your recipes. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've never heard of wattle seed ... lovely madeleines!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Patricia - Thank you! Madeleines would make a lovely gift - they are so dainty and light, I'm sure she'll be very happy to receive them.

    Hi Robyn - thank you so much for those lovely comments. I look forward to hearing how you go and if you have any questions, just ask!

    Thanks Ivonne - they are something I haven't really used but now that I have, I wonder what took me so long to try them. I can see them flavouring so many things.

    ReplyDelete
  7. oh, I love love those wattleseeds. I have a jar in my cupboard and I do not use it enough! Thanks for the great idea! These look delish!

    ReplyDelete
  8. They look beautiful. I have to find out what wattleseed is. I always learn something new from you. I like that! Thanks!

    Paz

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks Bea - I'm sure you'll find lots of wonderful things to use those wattleseeds in.

    Hi Paz - wattleseeds are a native australia product - only a few varieties of wattle tree produce edible seeds - these seeds are roasted and ground to form wattleseeds. The ground wattleseeds I've used come from Oz Tukka and you can find more information about it from this site. I'm not sure if they ship to america - amazon might be your best bet to get hold of some. Hope that helps!

    ReplyDelete
  10. What great looking madeleines! The only problem with madeleines is that you really can't stop at one, can you! :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. I am so glad to know that I can find wattle seeds from Amazon, I am very curious to bake with them. I love madeleines and yours look gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi Johanna - thanks so much for the info about Harvey Nichols. I do get emails about sourcing the seeds and now I have some place for england - Herbie's is an excellent brand and they do have a quality range. Your chocolate souffle sounds heavenly.

    Thanks Y - yes, it very hard to stop at one but they so small having a few won't do any harm

    Thanks Helene - I hope you do try out the seeds I'm sure you won't be disappointed.

    ReplyDelete
  13. i love the first shot of the madeleines, it's so cool how you could see the texture of the madelines and the flecks of wattleseed. im going to go out and get me some wattleseed and a madeleine pan now!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Thanks Ilingc - I'm sure you're going to enjoy making (and eating) these!

    ReplyDelete

© Cook (almost) Anything at Least Once | All rights reserved.
BLOG TEMPLATE HANDCRAFTED BY pipdig