Monday, September 04, 2006

Weekend Cookbook Challenge #8

Co-hosted by Sara from I like to Cook and Ruth of Once upon a Feast, the theme for this month's Weekend Cookbook Challenge was a Foreign Dish - or food from a culture that is not your own.

I found the answer in one of my more recent cookbooks, Flavours of Portugal (Sabores de Portugal) by Tania Gomes. Quite an interesting book, written in English and Portuguese, it's focus in on traditional Portuguese recipes.




With many tempting dishes, all new to me, I fell in lust with these simple and unpretentious tartlets and knew they were the ones for me.

queijadas

Queijadas (Egg Custard Tartlets)

3 eggs
350 grams sugar
100 grams plain flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
vanilla extract
500ml milk
butter, for greasing

Sift the plain flour with the baking powder.

Use either a food processor or mixer, place the eggs and sugar into the bowl and beat until well combined.

Add in the sifted flour and vanilla extract and continue beating until smooth.

Add the milk, half a cup at a time, mixing well between additions. You will end up with quite a runny mixture. That is normal.

I used a shallow muffin tin lined with greased paper cases. You can use silicon moulds instead.

Pour the mix into the greased cases, filling almost to the top.

Bake at 180°C/350°F for approximately 20 minutes or until the cakes are golden and cooked through. They will be quite puffy when hot but will deflate somewhat as they cool.

queijadas

They can be eaten warm or cold.

Tagged with :

9 comments

  1. These look absolutely, positively divine!!! It's only 8 am and I want them NOW!!!

    Thanks so much for joining in the WCC. The round up will be posted tomorrow.

    ReplyDelete
  2. mmmmmm delicious! They look adorable.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Ruth - look forward to seeing the round up!

    Thanks Sara!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh my goodness! Those look so delicious. I am going to bake these this weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks Breadchick - do let me know how they turn out!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is hands down, one of our favorite desserts, though I've never made them at home. Guess what I'm going to be doing today? ;)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Cate - you'll be enjoying yourself if you make these, though they are way too easy to eat!

    ReplyDelete
  8. OK, I've now made these twice, but both times, the batches ended up in the garbage. I think I'm doing something wrong when converting the measurements. Can you let me know what the flour and sugar should be measured to using cups?

    ReplyDelete
  9. Sorry to hear that Cate. I try not to use cups as they are not universally the same size. Our cup is 250mls in size.

    Converted into ounces you should be using 12 ounces of sugar and 3.5 ounces of flour.

    ReplyDelete

© Cook (almost) Anything at Least Once | All rights reserved.
BLOG TEMPLATE HANDCRAFTED BY pipdig