Wednesday, September 27, 2006

Blood Orange Cordial

Cordials may be a bit old fashioned but they are so simple to make in whatever flavour you desire. Having quenched a thirst for ginger and lemongrass I turned my attention towards to that fruit in season, blood oranges.

Apparently the fruit sizes are small this year making them less desirable to the supermarkets. With a very hot January, the trees went into a survival mode and the fruit stopped growing, but I can vouch on the quality of their flavour. Size certainly isn't everything!

Blood Oranges© by haalo


These are all blood oranges but as you can see the internal colouring does vary - in the four that I used, two had that intense blood orange colouring and two had mild veining. This didn't stop me from getting a vibrant coloured juice.

Blood Orange Juice© by haalo


To make the cordial, sugar and water is adding to the juice and the mixture is reduced in a simmer to concentrate the flavour and create this glistening jewelled drop...

Blood Orange Cordial© by Haalo


Blood Orange Cordial

250ml/1 cup blood orange juice (I used 4 oranges)
1 cup water
1 cup caster sugar


Place the water, blood orange juice and sugar into a saucepan over medium heat and stir until the sugar dissolves. Simmer for 10 minutes until it is reduced by about a third. This should take about 10 minutes.

Cool in the pan before straining into a bottle. Store in the fridge.

I like to use fizzy mineral water in the ratio of roughly 1 part cordial to 2 parts water, though this really is up to your own personal taste. Adding the syrup to gin or vodka wouldn't go astray either.

Blood Orange Cordial© by Haalo

9 comments

  1. I love the colour and I'm sure it's very tasty.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Absolutely amazing! I think that our blood oranges are probably all gone for the year, but I'll have to give this a try once they come back!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have seen blood oranges a few times - i think we get them in fall or winter here. I will certainly keep my eyes peeled for them now.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks Brilynn - it's very refreshing

    Thanks Ellie - there are still blood oranges around I got these this week at prahran market

    Sara - They are a lovely type of orange and if you can find them, well worth it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks Helen - blood orange juice is great just as it is.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Beautiful!

    I'm wondering how much time is needed for the cordial to "come to flavor"?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks Lighight - you can actually use it as soon as it's chilled.

    ReplyDelete
  8. hey... i was looking for what to do with my oranges that were just about going bad!!! this came out very well... thanks!!! Veena

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks Veena - happy to hear that!

    ReplyDelete

© Cook (almost) Anything at Least Once | All rights reserved.
BLOG TEMPLATE HANDCRAFTED BY pipdig