Tuesday, August 08, 2006

Just delicious

The August edition of Delicious lived up to it's name - well the cover certainly did. Like the fritters a few months back, I just knew I had to make these...

Spanish doughnuts

Spanish Cinnamon Doughnuts

110 grams caster sugar
½ teaspoon vanilla extract
1 egg
20 grams unsalted butter, melted
½ cup milk
185 grams plain flour, plus extra
1 teaspoon baking powder
oil, for deep frying
Spiced Sugar:
1 cup caster sugar mixed with 1½ teaspoons ground cinnamon & ½ teaspoon ground nutmeg

In a medium bowl, whisk the sugar, vanilla, egg, butter and milk. Sift flour and baking powder together. Add this to the wet ingredients and stir until smooth. You may need to add extra flour to create a thick batter - I needed to add another ¼ cup. Let this mixture stand for one hour.

Half fill a small saucepan with oil and heat to about 140°C to 150°C (280°F to 300°F) - now the original recipe states to heat to 180°C/350°F but this is just way too hot, the doughnuts will end up with raw centres - not the desired outcome.

Use two small spoons to shape 1 teaspoonful of batter into a rough round shape - they will have little points where they release from the spoon but that just gives them a little character. Don't be tempted to make them much bigger - you'll end up with that raw centre problem again. Also don't try to cook too many at one time or the oil temperature will drop.

Fry for a few minutes until they are golden then drain on paper towels before rolling in the spiced sugar mixture.

doughnuts

These are best eaten hot though I don't think that will be a problem. The real problem is trying not to eat them all yourself!

Tagged with

7 comments

  1. This so reminds me of my childhood. Whenever it would snow my mom would bake. She loved to make us donut holes(and we loved eating them) She only made ones with cinnamon and sugar but they were oh so good, as I imagine the ones you made were. I guess I should drag out the fry daddy this weekend and make some.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh yum! These sound like the little italian donuts I've had at the Queen Vic market (but no raisins...)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Everywhere I look people are making doughnuts and I still have never deep-fried anything. It all looks so delicious, especially your's. I have got to fry me some dough!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Peabody - you probably don't need to use a full blown deep fryer for these - I just used a small saucepan and a sugar thermometer, it cuts down on the quantity of oil you need

    Hi Ellie - italian donuts are fabulous especially the custard filled ones!

    Hi Natalia - it's internet serendipity - because these don't have any yeast they are a bit simpler and not a bad place to start.

    ReplyDelete
  5. These look like a real yummy sweet-treat...for sweet tooth like me. lol..

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yum, these look fantastic, I've always been to scared to try my own dougnuts, have a bit of a thing about deep frying. These look so good & sound so simple that I may just give them a go & see if I dont create a total disaster! My grandma used to make home made donuts (Polish) & I really miss them

    ReplyDelete
  7. Jacelyn - They are dangerously addictive!

    Ange - do give them a go - they are a lot easier to deal with than the full on yeast based donuts.

    ReplyDelete

© Cook (almost) Anything at Least Once | All rights reserved.
BLOG TEMPLATE HANDCRAFTED BY pipdig