Wednesday, March 15, 2006

Bircher Muesli

It's one of those things that I tend to gravitate towards when I'm away from home - I can't resist the mix of nuts and fruit all bound together with creamy oats, yoghurt and fruit juice.

It's something that is very easy to do at home and you can prepare enough to see you through the week, or a few days depending on how badly addicted you become to this delightful way to start the day.

bircher muesli© by haalo



Bircher Muesli

2 cups unstabilised rolled oats (unstabilised oats result in a more creamy finish)
100g sliced prunes
100g sliced dried apricots (I love the taste of those plump Turkish apricots)
50g sultanas
50g sunflower seeds
1½ cups fruit juice
1 cup milk

To serve:
Yoghurt
1 apple, shredded
25g flaked coconut, toasted
25g toasted hazelnuts, chopped


In a container, add the oats, dried fruit and seeds, stir to mix through. Then add the juice and milk and stir, making sure the oats soak up the liquid. Seal and place in the fridge overnight.

Next morning, take a portion of the mix and place in a breakfast bowl (return the remainder to the fridge), add the shredded apple, toasted flaked coconut and hazelnuts and ½ cup yoghurt and mix thoroughly.

You should get about 6 servings of bircher from the original mix - of course feel free to substitute the fruits for your favourites and adjust the levels of yoghurt to suit your particular palette. This mix has a nice sweetness from the dried apricots and I love the different textures of the nuts - I like having that "crunch" in my bircher.

4 comments

  1. We made bircher muesli nearly every morning at Christmas -- the kids took to calling it slump so when I made a carrot (!) version I DID call it slump!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That carrot version is really interesting and does show how versatile Bircher can be.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds yummy, I have many recipes for this that I have never tried yet, will have to give it ago soon

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Ange

    Thanks for the comments. You should try to make some - it really is delish!

    ReplyDelete

© Cook (almost) Anything at Least Once | All rights reserved.
BLOG TEMPLATE HANDCRAFTED BY pipdig