Friday, February 17, 2006

Going crackers for cheese

There's been much said about "cheesegate" and others have voiced opinions far more eloquently than I ever could, so in solidarity with "Cheese Sandwich Day" I present this offering of Cheese Crackers

cheese crackers© by Haalo




Cheese Crackers

150g butter
100g grated cheese (this version used parmesan and cheddar)
150g plain flour
iced water


Place all dry ingredients into a food processor. Mix until it resembles breadcrumbs, then add water, 1 tablespoon at a time, until the mixture begins to form a ball.

Turn out onto a floured board and gently knead to form a smooth ball. Cut the ball in half. I'll be making two types of biscuits so - roll one half into a long sausage shape about 3-4cm in diamater and simply form the other half into disc. Wrap with baking paper or clingfilm and place in fridge to rest, at least an hour.

Preheat your oven to 180°C/350°F.

With the disc, place on baking paper and gently roll out until its about 3mm thick. Use a cutter of your choice to form shapes. Since I love cheese, I've used a heart shaped cutter. Carefully place these shapes on a tray and bake for about 15 minutes, check at 10 minutes to see how they are browning and adjust temperature if needed.

With the roll, just slice it at 5mm intervals. Cook as per the stamped version.

You'll notice that the stamped ones tend to fluff up more then the others. They aren't as dense as those that are cut from the roll.

Because one can never have too much cheese I doubled up and used them as a base for the Marinated Fetta.

cheese crackers© by Haalo


I raise my cracker and say it may be "pointless" and "meandering" but it sure tastes good.

11 comments

  1. Looks completely yummy to me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fabulous! I would have devoured every morsel before I could even taken a photo!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi, and thank you both for the comments. I must admit they didn't last very long, just long enough to get a picture.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The marinated feta and cheese crackers look amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Fiber

    Thanks for the comment - I appreciate them all. I think I forgot to mention that this dough can be frozen so you can have this treat at any time.

    Haalo

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm excited to have found this from Kalyn's write-up, because I helped my son's kindergarten class make cheese crackers recently and I've been meaning to look for a recipe ever since! (It was part of a day-long field trip at a Girl Scout camp, so it's not like they were passing out copies of the recipe to take home.) I think I'll just start with yours!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Tricia
    Thank you for the comments - have fun making these, but you might find them disappearing all too quickly. Let me know how they turn out.

    Haalo

    ReplyDelete
  8. J'ai essayé ces crackers : ils sont simples à faire et délicieux.
    Thank you !

    ReplyDelete
  9. Je suis heureux d'apprendre cela! Merci Marie-Laure!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I made these today and they are incredible! I used 70g tasty/30g parmesan. I also added lots of coarsely ground black pepper. And being lazy I did them all with the cut roll method.

    Thanks for my favourite blog.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thank you Pietro - so happy to read that they turned out so well for you!

    ReplyDelete

© Cook (almost) Anything at Least Once | All rights reserved.
BLOG TEMPLATE HANDCRAFTED BY pipdig