Monday, October 28, 2013

Kamut Pancakes

One of the things I enjoy doing while in Alba is being able to experiment with different flours from my "local" mill - Mulino Marino. While I can find a few products back in Melbourne, the price charged tends to put them out of my range for everyday use. I've previously used their Sapori Antichi and Sette Effe flours - this time I'm trying their Kamut.

kamutĀ© by Haalo

Researching Kamut has proved to be an interesting adventure - you'll read stories alluding to its mysterious origins involving an Eqyptian tomb and an American Airman. Kamut is actually just a trademark, a brand name much like Coke. That's why when you take a closer look at packets of Kamut you'll see it is written as Kamut®.

Kamut is made using Khorasan wheat which according to one study in 2006 is just a hybrid created from two of the most common wheat varieties, triticum polonicum and triticum durum.

One other thing you'll repeatedly read about Kamut is that it might be suitable for those who suffer from wheat intolerance however there doesn't appear to be any sort of independent study to back this up. When you think about it, even it if it is a hybrid, it is still wheat - my advice, be careful of these claims.

It does seems that Kamut is more marketing exercise than miracle grain, which is a little disappointing but I did cheer myself up by using it to make these pancakes.

kamut pancakesĀ© by Haalo

Kamut Pancakes

60 grams plain flour (00 flour)
60 grams kamut flour
1 egg
1 cup milk
1 tablespoon icing sugar
1 tablespoon baking powder

Sift the flours, baking powder and sugar together into a bowl - make a well in the centre and add the egg and milk. Whisk until smooth - if you find the batter is too thick, add a little extra milk. Let the batter sit for 5 minutes before using.

For each pancake I used ¼ cup of batter - when you see bubbles forming on the top side, flip them over. Keep the pancakes in a warm spot while you cook the rest.

Serve hot with your choice of jams, jelly, marmalade, honey or butter.

While I made these with only half Kamut, I think it should still work using 100% kamut. I will try this and confirm it as an addemdum to this post.

No comments

Post a Comment

© Cook (almost) Anything at Least Once | All rights reserved.
BLOG TEMPLATE HANDCRAFTED BY pipdig