Wednesday, December 20, 2006

Cherry Almond Cakelets

If you liked the look of my mother's birthday cake, then here's the recipe.

Usually this cake would be made with pears, as pears and almonds are one of the great flavour marriages. But since we are in cherry season I've taken advantage of their abundance and included them in this cake.

Of equal importance is the topping - a mix of flaked almonds and sugar and the special extra ingredient Pearl Sugar. Pearl sugar is great as it doesn't melt and keeps it's shape, adding to the crunch of this topping. It's a battle of willpower not to eat all the topping from the cooked cakes.

cakelets

Cherry Almond Cakelets
[Makes 12 cakelets]

300 grams plain flour
2 teaspoon baking powder
200 grams caster sugar
2 eggs
125ml/½ cup milk
125ml/½ cup melted butter, cooled
1 teaspoon almond essence
1 1/2 cups poached cherries, drained
flaked almonds, caster sugar and pearl sugar, for topping

Sift the flour and baking powder into a bowl - then stir in the caster sugar making sure it's well mixed.

In a small bowl, whisk the eggs with the milk, butter and almond essence, then pour into the dry ingredients. Stir until just mixed.

Scatter in the drained cherries and then fold these through taking care not to overwork the mixture.

Three quarter fill your moulds then sprinkle over with some flaked almonds and caster sugar and for a little extra crunch, some pearl sugar.

oven ready

oven ready

Bake in a preheated 180°C/350°F oven for 20-30 minutes or until golden and cooked through. If you feel that they are browning too quickly, lower the temperature.

Place on a wire rack to cool.

cakelet


For this batch I've made 6 cakelets using 6cm/2.5 inch square moulds and 2 stars using 12cm/5 inch diameter moulds - if you like you can use other shaped moulds or even make it as one normal sized cake.

star


Tagged with

14 comments

  1. So very, very lovely! Good job.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Haalo, you have got me in your Cherry Craze. ;) I have eaten enough fresh cherries so am gonna make some use of cherries for desserts now.

    BTW, your cakelets look beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks BytheBay!

    Thanks Anh - look forward to seeing your creations.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Haalo, this has got to be one of the best combinations ever - cherries and almonds! Wonderful!

    The cakelets look so beautiful too (I'm partial for the big cake, being a star maniac). lol

    These would make the most lovely Xmas gifts, I'm sure.

    About your truffles - simply perfect!! I'll be posting them, if it's OK for you, of course. I couldn't find those beautiful edible glitters your used, so I coated them with cocoa powder + gold powder (a very fine glitter, I don't know the name in English).

    Tks for sharing. The recipe is so good that I can think of different fillings for it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks Patricia - I'm quite partial to the stars too.
    I can't wait to see how the truffles turned out so I'll be looking forward to your post - the gold powder sounds lovely and decadent. I'm really happy to know they worked out for you!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've said it before and I'll say it again, I love anything with cherries in it. And your moulds are great!

    ReplyDelete
  7. okay there is something going on here what with the near misses at the markets and now the pearl sugar. I hahve just posted about using pearl sugar for my decorations.

    we must both just have great taste!

    ReplyDelete
  8. These are very very beautiful! Love the star-shaped cake :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Looks very festive.

    Happy holidays!
    Merry Xmas
    -JJ

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks Brilynn.

    Cin - one day we'll end up at the same place at the same time. Just love your christmas tree cookies.

    Thanks Angie - the star is very pretty whatever the season!

    Thanks JJ - Happy Holidays to you and your family!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Too cute!! and filled with my favorite things. I can't wait to make some myself. Thanks for sharing

    ReplyDelete
  12. Haalo - Serve me almonds in almost anything and I am a very happy camper, which is probably why I'm drawn to Middle-Eastern and some Mediterranean desserts. Almonds + cherries is one of my favourite combinations. These cakelets look dreamy. Good on you. All the best for 2007!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thanks Ruth - look forward to seeing your cakelets!

    Thanks Shaun - if you love almonds, then you'll love the italian almond cakes. I will have to make that soon! Have a wonderful new years!

    ReplyDelete

© Cook (almost) Anything at Least Once | All rights reserved.
BLOG TEMPLATE HANDCRAFTED BY pipdig