Friday, November 15, 2013

Cotoletta all'albese

Cristina from La Cucina di Cristina is hosting both editions of Weekend Herb Blogging and with the truffle fair finishing this weekend I thought it appropriate to see it out with a lovely black truffle.

black truffle© by Haalo

At this time of the year the focus is all on white truffles but we shouldn't forget that the black truffle is still an excellent ingredient and that a small amount will lift even the most humble of dishes.

Growing up cotoletta would be a weekly staple and for me it meant a crumbed escalope (scallop) of beef topped with cheese. I'm well aware that cotoletta has a different meaning depending on where you are - the traditional Cotolette alla milanese would use veal chops that still have the bone attached, while here in Alba, when you're offered a "milanese" it refers to a boneless, crumbed escalope of beef/veal.

The dish I've made is an amalgam of these - a crumbed escalope topped with fontina and black truffle.

Cotoletta all'albese© by Haalo

Cotoletta all'albese

thin slices of beef/veal
egg, lightly beaten with a splash of milk
breadcrumbs
grated fontina
black truffle, thinly sliced

In Australia I'll use girello to make cotoletta but here in Alba I've used Fesa and got the butcher to slice it thinly for me.

Crumbing:

I don't use flour but I do double crumb. I find that it gives me a much better crust and the meat stays more moist.

71_5488
One all the meat has been crumbed it gets cooked in a mix of butter and olive oil until golden on both sides.

I then place a good layer of shaved black truffle over each, followed by grated fontina.



This goes into the oven or under a grill until the cheese melts. I then finish it with a few more slices of black truffle.

No comments

Post a Comment

© Cook (almost) Anything at Least Once | All rights reserved.
BLOG TEMPLATE HANDCRAFTED BY pipdig