Saturday, January 16, 2010

Banana Coconut Rum Raisin Ice Cream

We may still be getting into the swing of 2010 but Weekend Herb Blogging continues and this week I'm hosting and featuring that fruit that is really a herb, banana

bananas© by Haalo


There's been a string of hot days and the need for something cooling has been on the mind and the recipe that follows is something that will quickly provide you with relief.

I first saw this concept last month on a River Cottage program and tucked it away in my brain in one of those "that's a great idea I should do that some day" moments. Then just this week as I was flicking through some old magazines (the February 2008 edition of Dish) there it was again. I took that as a sign, I should do it now.

Ice cream can be a bit of a convoluted procedure and the beauty of this method, is that you get that ice cream texture without any fuss - all you need is frozen fruit and a food processor. It can be as simple as placing the frozen fruit into your processor and blitzing until creamy.

frozen banana ice-cream© by Haalo


Frozen Banana, Coconut, Rum and Raisin Ice Cream
[Adapted from Dish Issue 16]

3 bananas
¼ cup coconut cream
¼ cup dried raisins
rum


Prepare the bananas:
This is something you can have stashed in the freezer well in advance so it's there ready to use when you feel those ice cream cravings coming on.

Peel and chop the bananas into even sized pieces and lay them out on a tray in a single layer. Place them in the freezer until frozen. You can then repack them into freezer bags.

Prepare the raisins:
Place the raisins in a small pan and cover with rum - put the pan over a very gentle heat and carefully bring it up to temperature, you just want to warm the rum. Take it off the heat, place a lid on the pan and allow to sit until cool and the raisins have plumped.

Make the ice cream:
Place the frozen bananas into a processor and process until smooth. Pour in the coconut cream, and process until creamy. Roughly chop the raisins, add them to the processor and briefly pulse until they have mixed through.

If you like your ice cream more like a soft serve you can enjoy it now or else, place it in a container and put it back in the freezer to harder a little.

ice cream cones© by Haalo


For something different, I've served it in these mini ice cream cones.



There's still time to join in with this edition of Weekend Herb Blogging.

Send your posts to whb AT cookalmostanything DOT com
with WHB#215 in the subject line and the following details:
  • Your Name
  • Your Blog Name/URL
  • Your Post URL
  • Your Location
  • A photo: 300px wide
Entries should be received by the following times:
  • 3pm Sunday - Utah Time
  • 10pm Sunday - London Time
  • 11pm Sunday - Rome Time
  • 9am Monday - Melbourne (Aus) DS Time

10 comments

  1. What a great idea. I keep a bag of frozen bananas in my freezer all the time.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fantastic combo! I love those flavours.
    I had no idea banana is a herb!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Gorgeous, and I had no idea that bananas were classified as an herb!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great combination- love making ice creams and now's the perfect time to experiment with different flavours.

    Will definitely have to try making this banana coconut rum and raisin version!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This does sound good but it's just too cold here for ice cream right now. How about frying the bananas with coconut, rum and raisins? (If the idea of eating fried anything when it's hot out is to horrifying, you could serve the bananas with ice cream....)

    I love that you label a banana as an herb.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks Pam - I think I'll be taking up that habit from now on

    Thanks Maninas!

    Thanks Kalyn!

    Thanks M's - experimentation is certainly fun when it's done with ice-cream

    Oh Elizabeth, I wish I could swap hemispheres, rum bananas are delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  7. No, Haalo, I don't think you really want to swap hemispheres. It's -5C today. Maybe we could compromise and combine our temperatures to give us both reasonable weather. Who do we write to to arrange that?

    ReplyDelete
  8. I am so making this ice cream, Haalo - it's insanely hot here and I adore anything banana.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Whenever I see ice cream recipes I cry a little inside because I don't have an ice cream maker. Not this time! Looks fabulous.

    ReplyDelete
  10. 5C sounds wonderful Elizabeth - I'll swap the 43C anyday!

    Sounds like you're in perfect need for this Patricia

    Thanks Joanne - this is the ice cream you can have anytime

    ReplyDelete

© Cook (almost) Anything at Least Once | All rights reserved.
BLOG TEMPLATE HANDCRAFTED BY pipdig